Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting a Caravan on land we rent  (Read 38497 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Putting a Caravan on land we rent
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »
Thanks Colliewoman

We are in England as well

If asked to leave how long would we have does anyone know?

Do we put Caravan on then ask for planning???

Like I said, we got eviction notices in 2006 and are still here!
If you're asking what I would do, I would put the caravan on and see what happens, if you get hassle then apply.
I'm not saying that is good advice though ;D ;) ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 07:44:29 pm »
I think if you get planning for an agri shed(28days notice), once you start work on the shed you are entitled to reside on the land, in your caravan till the shed is built, up to 5 years...

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:00 pm »
So put in planning for a agri shed? Do you know how much that would cost???

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:55 pm »
Thanks Colliewoman

We are in England as well

If asked to leave how long would we have does anyone know?

Do we put Caravan on then ask for planning???

Like I said, we got eviction notices in 2006 and are still here!
If you're asking what I would do, I would put the caravan on and see what happens, if you get hassle then apply.
I'm not saying that is good advice though ;D ;) ;)

yup.pitched up, squared off, get the woodburner fitted ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »
So put in planning for a agri shed? Do you know how much that would cost???
If you go onto the local council's website you may find a  scale of costs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27:09 pm »
Thanks. Will have a look and see what the costs are.

Has anyone on here done what we are wanting to do and managed to stay in their static?

Would really like to thank everyone for their help so far

We were just really worried we put a static on and then the council would come and demolish it with a few weeks

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »
agric sheds below 60 by 40 cost nothing in Scotland all you need is council concent
the Gypsy's at that farm that was on the telly they got a good few years out it :farmer:

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 10:35:17 pm »
Thanks Rob

We have never needed to apply for planning before. It is taking alot of reading and my brain is already fried! lol

Is there enough land with 7acres?? to put a agri shed up? I think i have read somewhere that you need planning permission for any land less than 12acres is that right? Any help would be greatly appreciated

The land is next to quite a busy road and does have access of the road at the moment with a tarmac drive. In front of the stables (stables are on a concrete base and the concrete base is double the size at least of the stables) In front of the wall surrounding the stable there is also a good sized peice of land which has got hardcore down then white stone (used fro parking cars) Not sure if all this info is releveant

What would we need to fill in a an agricultural prior notice consent form (as in plans etc) as as previously said we have never dealt with planners before

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 10:57:50 pm »
I really do think that an hour with a planning consultant would pay dividends.  Peace of mind, knowledge of the exact facts of what you can and can't put on there.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:33 am »
Agric notification is no longer free in Scotland at least - we had to pay for ours albeit cheaper than planning fees, from memory it was about £120ish,

Re the 5 hectares

Rights for the erection, extension or alteration of a building, and for excavations and engineering operations, which are reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture, are available to larger agricultural units of at least 5 hectares.
More limited rights, including extensions and alterations adding not more than 10 per cent to the cubic content of the building, are available to smaller units of at least 0.4 hectares but less than 5 hectares.
For more information see Part 6 and Part 7 of Schedule 2 to the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm#IDAEME3D

Bear in mind that councils are not keen to allow static living even if they think you are harmless as it creates precedents which are used by travellers in other much less suitable sites which can lead to conflicts between travellers and settled communities and expense in clearing the mess left behind, and also because it conflicts with the policies of promoting development in established villages and settlements to minimise costs of council services provided and also to protect the countryside.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:43 am »
Maxwell
i live in north yorkshre too and so are covered by the same planners as you, they are a complete pack of w***kers (forgive my french) we have four acres and wanted to put up a 60 x 40 agri shed, we put in planning and they made me write an essay as to why we needed it, i listed rural crime and the lack of policing and the amount of expensive machery we needed to secure, i mentioned i was a honcho in the GOS club and needed the shed to support my piggy activities, the shed was also shield on 3 sides by hedges and we have no near neighbours, they eventually passed it after a site visit. Threis no way they will let you have a kezza on site we had 2 when the house was demolished and rebuilt here and the minute the house was finished they were on our backs to shift ours. Saying that are near 9 horses out to DIY livery they've been there just over 5yrs and the girls have put a static in the hedge back to serve as tack room/tea break room and so far they've never had a sniff from NYCC so personally i would take your chances put the kezza in the least noticeable place and argue the toss later, use the rural issues card, lack of policing, communications, get some chickens, a couple of pigs stuff that needs constant attention.
Good luck all the best
mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »
there are similarity's betwean Mandy's shed and my own
i studied the planning regulations to see what was required and decided to just erect the shed and if asked apply for retrospective planning
i saved the cost of plans  drainage diagrams etc etc     the shed was built and almost complete when we were visited by the council(in a former life he had been involved with pigs)  a third of the floor area is dedicated pig pens
they wanted money for a planning application  wrong all that was needed was council concent for a 60 by 40 shed   concent was granted with them coming out twice to inspect and photograph the inside  then they wanted a separate planning application for the signage on the shed  paid for that   planning refused    you then get 6 months to remove or appeal   the date and time was logged on the callender and a count down began    one hour before the appeal time expired  it was hand delivered and the time recorded  photographed every bit of signage within a few miles radius and done my own appeal
every bit of signage that was photographed did not have planning permission and that was over 20      the council never challenged the appeal in time and we got our signage
sheds stables etc are easy to get planning for a permanent sitting of a caravan is a different mater or even a temporary sitting  all councils are opposed to this  and if it was that easy there is the possibility of millions of caravans being used in similar situations to the one outlined
you can take them on on a shoestring budget
you can whip there arse        but you have to read and re read the rules and regulations
you don't need a planning consultant        they may help but wont without charging
don't ask first as forewarned is forarmed
if you are going to do it    just do it and see what happens :farmer:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »
I think I would put it there in a fairly inconspicuous palce if poss and plead ignorance if anyone says anything.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »
You could try putting a caravan on, then going to appeal when planning catch up with you. It depends on your nerve, really. It would be pretty stressful in a standoff with the Council but some people do it for years!

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice

By reading everything that has been put and internet research i have been doing Planning seem to be a nightmare where ever you are unless you have lots of money or are a big rich developer!

The really frustrating thing to me is that we are working people ( well my partner currently works 12hr shifts) we claim no benefits and our son sells the produces the odd horse to fund himself. In my opinion horses are a big source of income/jobs in many rural areas and i know of many farmers that do really well out of us horse people!

Horses are valuable stock and horse theft is on on the increase as well as all the equipment associated with them, Are the council going to replace rugs/fencing/tack/tractor when it gets stolen?? Once theives know a place is unoccupied then they just take what is not nailed down! I know this from experience a friend had a yard and they just kept coming back and stealing everything in the end she gave up as she couldn,t afford to replace what had been stolen and the insurance companies refused to insure her.

It just seems so wrong that if we my son increased his hobby ( a bigger scale of selling and producing) that he could not be allowed to live where is business was to enable him to grow that business secure his expenesive stock and equipment. We are not in a position to rent a yard with a house these are easily in excess of 2k a month before you even start with all the additional costs.  Our rent at the new place is minimal so would easily be a viable option.   Even more annoying i suppose is that the yard is opposite quite a large industrial factory lorries coming and going and onsite 24 hr security ( i have been told they have a porta cabin on site)

I think we may just bite the bullet and put a static on and see how we go. If anyone one on here would be willing to help with filling in planning forms etc that would be greatly appreciated as having read all the regs i am thinking that i need help in this department!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS