Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting a Caravan on land we rent  (Read 38492 times)

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
Putting a Caravan on land we rent
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:48:19 pm »
Hi all,

We are shortly going to be renting a 7acre field with stables. The land currently has 5 purpose built stables with concrete base etc. There is water on site and we are just in communication with the electric company re supply of electric. The owner of the land has said we can put a caravan on if we like. We are unable to find any rental property within our means close by at the moment. We currently rent our property but our landlady requires our rented property back and has issued a notice to quit. The newly  rented field/stables is in a different area to which we live now. We do own our own property but that is currently rented out and to be honest is a good 40miles from the place we are going to be renting. The question i am asking is are we able to reside in the caravan on the site temp until we find alternative accomodation or is there a way we could put a static on to live in??

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Putting a Caravan on land we rent
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:16 pm »
The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority. A site licence can only be issued subject to a vaild planning permission.

There are some exceptions: such as a caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.

or

A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

and a few others.

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »
If we put a touring caravan on the site how long would it be before the planning department made us move it? I have read lots of information on the internet and i am totally confused. If we are only renting the land and do not own it would it need to be the owner that applied for PP. On reading different forums now it sounds as though Planning would refuse straight away. Do we just risk putting a caravan on? The land owner obviously knows that there will be planning issues but isnt bothered i think he got retrospective for his stable block and hardstanding area. We are willing to pay council tax etc. It is just so frustrating we have a potential place to live and look after our animals but by the sounds are unable to do so. Is there any way around this situation?

Mel

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:30:36 pm »
 :wave:

Interesting thread as we are soon to be in a similar situation,we have just under 1.5 acres and our landlord has said about us putting on a log home or one of those prefab bungalows or similar and that we have to apply for the planning permission,he has advised though that it is easier to get passed than brick built properties?

His hint was to phrase "for agricultural use only",and that within the "deal" to have a shop to sell all our produce which would benefit the village?luckily he is happy to pay all the cost's involved,including the log home or whatever it is.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »
the site has had planning issues already so the planners will be taking a closer look at it
anybody can apply for planning permission it does not need to be the owner
you could just site the caravan then state it is necessary to stay on site for security reasons but you will have to have valid instances of vandalism to that type of property and against horses in the area you may a couple of years out it by appealing there refusal if they refuse    you wont know unless you try it :farmer:

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »
Yes leghorn i have read "that for agriculture" it can be slightly different. We only have horses at the moment though but would be willing to add additional members of the family if it helped. My son does produce the odd horse and then rehome/sell the horse. Could he be set up his own self employed business and say he needs to live there to secure the place and take care of the horses??? It is just so frustrating we will have no where to live in the next 6weeks! Our horses definately have we have sorted them out first. The field is near a road though so a caravan would be seen so i suspect would be reported quickly unless we put it down the side of the stables and erect somekind of cover that blends in with the stables to disguise it?? I would really like to do things properly and get consent i definately do not want to build on this land as i say we are long term renting the land and do not own it. We have limited funds and definately cannot afford to buy a ready made place, we are already in negative equity with the house we bought when the housing market was good and would not be able to get a big enough mortgage.

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:55:06 pm »
Thanks Robert for your reply

So what would you say is the best thing to do?

Put the caravan on then apply for planning?

If planning is denied in the theory how long would it take the planners to enforce the static to be removed?

We have a tractor as well and to be honest would not like to leave the tractor unattended

Does anyone of any ideas what we could surround the caravan with so it blends in??

We just don,t want to spend what little money we have buying a cheap static (have seen one that was used for a self build that has been doubled glazed for a 1000 ono) and then have to either move it or have it demolished after a couple of months

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »
Where I live the field has had people living on it in caravans or converted vehicles, WITH landowners permission since 1995.
An eviction notice was issued 2006, but not enforced. We are currently in limbo waiting on a new planning application.
So yes there can be lots of planning issues, but hey I'm still here ;)
Incidentally, buy the book 'field to farm' it is really helpful :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »
P.S i live in England, I have no idea about planning laws in Scotland ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
Thanks Colliewoman

We are in England as well

If asked to leave how long would we have does anyone know?

Do we put Caravan on then ask for planning???

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
don't try to blend it in with disguises    that is a loser for a kick of
charlie marshall of Aberdeen built two houses and disguised them with potato boxes       they only found out when a child drew a painting of there house with the boxes in front  they were to get demolished :farmer:

Maxwell10

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
By blending in Robert the stables are all brown with a cream stone wall and cream brick wall to the ends. What we are saying is would we be better off putting a fence around the caravan so it blends in with the stable block?

Would you apply for the planning first?

I have been looking on the net at Harrogate council and can see no applications which were permitted when it came to Statics/Caravans they were all refused. 

In theory if we put a static on then applied and then appeal (assuming it was refused) what time limits are we looking at?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:55:09 pm »
I think you need to get a hold of a planning consultant.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »
if your desperate for somewhere to go, and you have the landowners permission then id just do it, if you can get a static on the land for a grand then thats probably cheaper than finding a property to rent with deposits, months upfront etc etc. its then up to the council to get you off, or rehoused. how long you stay will depend on the fight you put up. my only concern would be that the landowner could be in for some grief as well, however, a succesful right to stay could be to the landowners benefit.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »
planning consultants cost thousands      and are not much better than advice given here or already gleaned
i used one years ago and could have saved a fortune all they done was rewrite what i had written and supply it in a folder     but i did get my planning
i am not sure you have a winner here with your circumstances or even close you have another house you don't own the land        and by your own admission short of money      that is the one thing you need when battling the planners
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS