Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fingers crossed  (Read 17761 times)

HappyHippy

Re: fingers crossed
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:24 pm »
Yay !  :thumbsup:
We've got a couple (or 5  :o) due in the next few weeks too  ;)
Just getting a head start on spring  :D
Keep us posted  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »
shes in the stable on maternity leave now - and will not be running off to the woods to give birth this time. not grumpy either this time ..yet...she looks glorious and voluptuous.
 :D :D :D

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:03 pm »
due date 19th feb :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 07:57:20 pm »
She was a day early last  time. she was ai-ed 29 and 30 oct.
heat lamp or no heat lamp?

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:08 pm »
How quickly excitement can turn into heartache, I had my company go down in 2010 due to the re session and the repercussions of it means I have to sell my Barn and field which means I have to sell my pigs and chickens so my lovely babies that I am still waiting for have to go so does the mother (Porcsha)  and my lovely Bob I am finding things very upsetting at the moment :'(
I wish we were closer and you could put your animals here, we are not (can't justify it) breeding pigs any more and have to find homes for ours but I will really miss them! I also worry about what kind of home they go to, you do not just need to understand an animals needs but must have empathy.
So very sorry for you.
Good luck

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:45:03 am »
She was a day early last  time. she was ai-ed 29 and 30 oct.
heat lamp or no heat lamp?
Heat lamp  :thumbsup:
There's snow forecast for the weekend  :-\

princesspiggy

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:00 pm »
patiently waiting for dorothy to give birth (presuming the dates are correct)
heatlamps, creep, towels ready...its snowing here!
now she is bleeding on her back teat, would she have stood on herself? shes been very good humoured but now a bit cranky.

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
My wee Kune Kune sow always gets a bit cranky too pre-farrowing (breaking out of the shed and such like  ::)) give Dorothy a can (or maybe two) of sweetheart stout, it'll chill her right out. Then you'll be able to get a look at her teat  ;) She probably has stood on it or caught it on something, but once she's calm you'll be able to check her  :thumbsup:
Good luck ! Paitiently waiting on news of tiny trotters  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 03:39:36 pm »
its quite a nasty cut on her teat, tho the inside part is still there. purple spray or wound powder?

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:41 pm »
hmmm no sign of piglets, she bagged up 2 weeks ago so thought the AI on 29/30 oct had mayb worked( wasnt hopeful at the time) she should have been due yesterday.
she has a good handle of udder but not engorged  - but they r hanging enough for her to stand on her teat - and hasnt made a proper nest. if shes not due this week, then shes not due til end march as  she wasnt with boar until 7th dec.
our other sow who was covered 1st week dec has a belly but no udders, tho is alot slimmer than dorothy.
how soon can they bag up before farrowing - surely not 6 weeks? or how many days past  her due date could she go?

i dont want to put her back in the woods incase she farrows, but dont want her in the stable for no reason.... ???

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
PP don't panic i have known sows go upto 7 days over their due date average is 4 days so hang on in there. If her udder has dropped that much sh'e not far off, watch for her milk coming in and then she'll be about 6 - 12hrs away, she may make a nest some do some don't all mine do they paw at the straw first and once they start to take mouthfuls they're well on their way.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Grasshopper30

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 08:33:20 pm »
According to your dates she should literally be due any day, and if her udders have gorged then it is most likely imminent ( next day or so.)  Not sure if you have done this before, so sorry if I am teaching grandmothers to suck eggs, but it is worth having a creep area with heat lamps up and running in advance of the birth, especially in cold weather- trying to keep warm increases the propensity to squashing (well that's our experience!) Are you planning on being around for the birth to help out- is it her first litter?  Oooh it's so exctiting!! We had 21 new arrivals last week!

princesspiggy

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 10:13:23 pm »
its her and my second litter, but last time is was summer and she farrowed outside. i want to be there this time cos its so cold and shes sooo much better tempered than last time. iv been checking her every 4 hrs 24/7 so being overdue is tiring, lol. heat lamps and creep all ready.....
i could feel them kicking today  :D :D :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:48 am »
she went into labour last night about 7pm but didnt start to give birth til 1am.
8 little tamworths are now suckling away! she nearly crushed one but got him out from under her in time.
hats off to deerparks royal standard yet again! she let me assist her this time so im chuffed - just hoping they are all still ok in morning. :D :D :love: :D :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:18:00 am by princesspiggy »

Bangbang

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:02 am »
Congrats!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS