Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: biodynamic gardening  (Read 15368 times)

milarepa

• Joined Jan 2012
biodynamic gardening
« on: January 04, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »
My wife is going to experiment with two raised beds using the biodynamic gardening method. Has anybody tried this and any advise?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: biodynamic gardening
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:24:43 pm »
I have been following this (more or less) for around 20 odd years now.  I feel it works for me.  I get
The planting guide each year as well
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

tygrysek75

• Joined Dec 2011
  • London
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »
Yes,I do and love it .I,m also combing this with Effective Microorganisms and results have been very good.My garden looks sometimes messy as the plants(comonly called weeds) also present as having their role too.Good luck :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:23 am »
What is biodynamic gardening?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:15:20 am »
MGM, I thought it was just me who didn't know what they are talking about  ;D

Hopefully we will both be wiser soon
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:32 am »
That makes three of us .....  unless it is that non dig system whereby you just fill a raised bed and don't walk on it, or compact it in any way and just add liquid nutrients? ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:13:05 am »
Biodynamics is a step beyond Organic.  It involves growing and husbanding with natural systems, with the phases of the moon and without chemicals or unnatural treatment of animals.  I believe it also includes a philosophy of life for those using the system.  Most of it makes sense to me except the making of a potion, which has to be stirred either clockwise or widdershins, can't remember which, then buried in a cows horn for a while then used to sprinkle on the land.  That bit puzzles me, but it was explained as more to do with the community ceremonies and rituals involved with a Biodynamic system than any real benefit to the land.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:39:07 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:56 am »
Thanks for the info Fleecewife.  I have just looked it up on the internet as well.  It all sounds a bit beyond me.  ???
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:57:26 am »
I can go as far as a lunar calendar, but they lose me at the potions I'm afraid.
Also wonder how specific the calendar/tips are - same dates in Cornwall as the Hebrides...?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:14:40 am »
Yes exactly.  I find if the day is good for sowing, planting out or whatever ie it's not bucketing down, under 2' of snow or a day for doing sheep, then I just go for it, and to wait for the right phase of the moon could mean losing the opportunity.  I seem to get good crops anyway.
We are probably halfway between Devon and the Shetlands and we usually find ourselves about 3-4 weeks behind the SW, but even locally conditions vary enormously.

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 05:15:59 pm »
Yes I agree with fleecewife, I had to look it up on the internet last night and decided wouldnt be able to work with the lunar calendar, just got to do whats got to be done when I can. Also I got lost when it started talking about the potions and cow horns. Have to say the organic part of it and trying to work without chemicals etc as much as possible is probably what alot of us strive to achieve anyway, and is all for the best.  :)

tygrysek75

• Joined Dec 2011
  • London
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »
Hi again,I'm more concentrating on the time of sowing and which plants go well with which.For eg.if you have carrots they grow well next to onions,leak,spinach,strawberries but never put next to it beetroot.potatoes.cabbage's or dill.There also recipes how to make fertilizers from nettles and other plants to make sprays against pests.the best is to get a good book about it.To be honest I had never heard about any horns and stuff.The book i'm using is an old book from1989 in polish.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:22:20 am »
That's Companion Planting and Natural Remedies rather than Biodynamics.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:40:17 am by Fleecewife »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 12:49:42 am »
Thanks for telling us.
I avoid chemicals and plant in the right groups, such as carrots with onions (which is to cover the smell of carrots to deter carrot fly) but I'm not standing in the pouring rain just because the moon is in the right quarter. ;D

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:02 am »
I gather that planting by the moon is not unusual in these parts. Certainly my old neighbours live very much by the callender - even to the point of telling us off for picking Rene Claude plums before the 14th August. Sinners we are - we also picked some Kiwi fruits before November 1st. We found several hollowed out cow horns hanging up when we moved here - 2 had hunting knives in them so I really don't think that the old boy who lived here was into Bio-Dynamics.
A cows horn turned up in the dung I dug out of the barn to mix with my compost. I keep turning the pile but leave the cow horn in the compost for good luck. Maybe I will hang it from the runner beans next year.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS