Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Online Shows for 2012  (Read 30767 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Online Shows for 2012
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:53 am »
Thanks to those who contributed to the Christmas online shows and congratulations to the winners.

We're now planning what we do for 2012. We'll be having a Goat Show in January, but what do people think about how we organise the shows beyond that?

Would it be better to have a single show each month concentrating on a single species of livestock, with a big amalgamated show once a year?

What about slipping in the odd show for things like food and craft - anyone interested in showing off their cookery/baking/handicraft skills?

All ideas welcome.  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Online Shows for 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:25:46 pm »
Dan,
As I don't yet have any livestock, other than a cat and dog I like the idea of something for crafts.

I also think that one show monthly might work better than trying to do them all at the same time.  Perhaps the monthly winner could be the entry we have for the calendar. 

One suggestion from me is the best comical picture. That could be by lifestock category or across the board.  There were several posted in the pigs and poultry that would have fitted the bill e.g. the corner pig and the little piggie that won with the snow on his nose.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »
different craft photos/classes is an excellent idea and a real inspiration to those who havent tried it.
bring out the spinning wheels and taxidermy and butchery  ;) ;) for action shots!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:37:28 pm »
I would also be pleased if we could get some sort of charity involved.  Dan already set up Justgiving on here for the competition CSSA 2012 calendar I did (only 7 left out of 50 printed - anyone else want one?) and it worked perfectly. 

I'm happy to do a calendar again but I would be doing it with some of the net proceeds going to CSSA.  I also credited the person who sent the photo in - made good Christmas/New Year gifts.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:16 pm »
We build our own chicken coops and other bits and pieces. Cost is the issue -how cheap can you build something for? Maybe that's a possible subject -stuff built entirely from reclaim or natural material. Like the recent thread on plant pots built from old plastic pipe.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:29 pm »
Cost is the issue -how cheap can you build something for? Maybe that's a possible subject -stuff built entirely from reclaim or natural material.

Oh, can we do this PLEASE Dan - I'd be really good at it (had loads of practice)  ;) :D :D :D

I think crafts and baking are good topics, what about best landscape view ?
I think a monthly comp that runs for 3 weeks with a week for judging would give everyone plenty of time to concentrate on their 'entry' rather than 2 or more comps at a time - but maybe that's just cos I'm always so busy lol!

Having a calendar tied in with a charity or business of some sort would work (even take it up a notch to a small diary) - kinda "Smallholders Year", you could even have important dates/notes printed on it (best time to serve sows for January/July farrowing, when routine shearing & dagging of sheep should happen, 4 year crop rotation plans etc - there's loads that could be done with it  ;))

But the 'How cheap can you build.......' catagory suggestion is my current fave  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »

..... really enjoyed everyones photo`s   :thumbsup:   and very well done to the winners  :chook: :trophy: :trophy:
                                                                                                                                   :pig: :trophy: :trophy:

commiserations to all the losers - like me ....

;) ;) ;D

Tilly  :wave:

Mel

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »
Hi Dan.

Action shots of your animals or birds! :),there does not seem to be many pictures of ducks and the like!
Flora and Fauna!,or Nature and/or surroundings in your smallholdings.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »
a couple more weeks and ill have some magnificent magnolias to share....

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:55:16 pm »
All good suggestions -especially the "how cheap can you get".

I would like to see a winter or Autumn  " Store room" photo category. Not only does this share the fruits of members hard work but it may provide tips for others. For example how to store root veg, dry beans or keep your nuts safe.
Store room veg
Store room fruit.
The Chutney shelf
The Jam room
The "charcuterie" room. Best Salami ?!?

I agree that we should definitely expand the photo compotions.

Cheers Martin

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:41 pm »
I liked the two / four shows going on at the same time, have one where you are asking which one is the best ( for a small prize if possible) ie hen / cockerel / pig / ewe / tup /cow / dog/cake / craft  etc and a second themed more fun one ie Christmas / Easter/ snow /rain / sun  / best horns / ugliest face / prettiest face etc. This month i suspect there will be plenty people who perhaps don't have goats, who would have liked to have been entering as well as voting ( lots of competitive :trophy: people on here )
Good fun though  :thumbsup:
Also don't know if the pictures apart from the winner are in any particular order but if not then perhaps a 1st - 3rd would be in order ( not everyone can be a winner)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:52:48 pm by Big Light »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »
Of course I'd love to show off my ducks  ;D , the cat would not win me any price  ::)
Foodstuffs might be difficult on-line, how and who would judge the taste of baking, chutneys, jams, etc??? :&>

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:30 pm »
Great stuff, keep them coming. Like the reclaimed / recycled idea, pure photo comps like best landscape, crafts, stores  - all will feature over the coming year.  :thumbsup:

For food shows you'll have to post me a sample for tasting and judging.  :D

We do plan to have some classes which are judged by an 'expert' judge, and not based on member votes - how does that sound?

We also have plans for classes with a small entry fee (£1 probably) to cover prizes and postage - would this put you off entering, or encourage you?

This month i suspect there will be plenty people who perhaps don't have goats, who would have liked to have been entering as well as voting ( lots of competitive :trophy: people on here )

That's what I had in mind. A show for livestock plus one for non-livestock, for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.  :thumbsup:

Also don't know if the pictures apart from the winner are in any particular order but if not then perhaps a 1st - 3rd would be in order ( not everyone can be a winner)

They are in order, positions will be shown from tomorrow morning when we upgrade the scripts a bit.   :)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:49 pm »
looking forward to animals and non-animals - the 'how cheap can you get' is a great idea - although I think some of our timber has seen several different homes and purposes!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »
Well done everyone - especially the winning owners and animals,

Well done to Dan  :trophy: for his programming/computer skills and for taking on the task of organising even more shows - I for one wouldn't mind the entry fee, though I'm only a point and squirt photographer :dunce: :dunce:

You are never to old to learn something new

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS