Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How often do you clean out your coops?  (Read 34746 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: How often do you clean out your coops?
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2012, 11:59:33 am »
Womble, we had Coypu around here for years. I often caught a glimpse of them and those who knew about them kept it quiet. So much building going on now and they have disappeared :(

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
A boy I fancied when I was a girl offered to take me badger watching. I thought he meant "badger watching" and was quite excited ;D Guess what! We watched badgers ::)

Fantastic!!  I'd love to go badger watching, but I don't know where there are any sets locally (good job really, because much as I like them, we don't really want them here). Did you know we now have our first home-bred beaver for many years up in Argyll? Now THERE'S an innuendo if you ever wanted one!  ;D
Ooooh naughty  ;D ;D ha ha ha
So when we bought our smallholding and the neighbours said they used to "film badgerwatch" in our orchard, I thought they meant a BBC show - have I misunderstood what she meant?  ;)
;D ;D Well this guy looked a bit like the Oddie  ;D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2012, 07:48:19 pm »
Dear God, I'm appalled. I'm a convent girl, you know. Quite shocked. I'm giving my girls a good start in life by forcing them to watch St Trinian's, I hope some of the excellent morals and principles from this fine film will wash off on them.  Dogs, badgers, beavers..... whatever next? Tut tut. Wash your mouths out, you foul beasties.

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2012, 08:06:04 pm »
Convent girl - they are the worst kind  ;D :-*

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2012, 08:15:01 pm »
OK, it was my thread, so I'll digress if I want to  ;D

Click if you dare!  ;)   www.scottishbeavers.org.uk
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 08:17:52 pm »
I prefer the men in kilts site myself  ;D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »
Ummm, is it just me or should that read Beaver Trail rather than Beaver Trial? I haven't looked too closely, but are they trailing the beavers or trialling them?

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:42 pm »
Oh, I see. Trialling the release. How disappointing. I thought it might be like horse trials where the beavers would have to canter around a ring and jump hurdles.

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »
Oh, I see. Trialling the release. How disappointing. I thought it might be like horse trials where the beavers would have to canter around a ring and jump hurdles.
;D ;D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »
 :o

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »
I thought beavers were baby boy scouts? ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
Don't be ridiculous DC.

Beavers would have to dismantle the hurdles and build a dam across the water jump, silly. ::)   ;) :D

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »
Hmm. So they would, Sally. An excellent point, well made.

However, the beaver dam building / jump dismantling would only delay the event, but not render it a pointless exercise at all, on the contrary, people who find collies rounding up Indian  Runners interesting would surely find this riveting. I shall write to my local MP immediately insisting that The West Fife Beaver Trials are instigated forthwith, and if I see children wearing blue jumpers and neckies there will be a Letter Of Complaint. Willie Rennie, watch this space.

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »
Will it be like the Frogging championships that Mark and Lard used to do the commentary on? If so count me in :thumbsup:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 10:50:24 pm »
I hadn't heard that before, just listened on youtube, and I will insist to the MP that Mark & Lard do the commentary for The West Fife Beaver Trials.  The adjectives are quite magnificent.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS