Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something on chicken poo..........piccy attached  (Read 14711 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Something on chicken poo..........piccy attached
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:44 pm »
Benzol Benzoate for scaley leg mites Ian. The cheapest stuff I've ever bought from the vets and usually works with one brush-on application -just in case you were thinking of WD40 or something.

Apologies for comment about your filthy coop. I didn't realise birds could poo that much in such a short space of time. Do you compost the poo and feed the veggy plot?

No need to apologise.  :)
I do use the poo for compost. It's interesting just how horrible it smells when it's been in the bin for a while. That's one of the ways that I know I'm on top of the cleaning, the coop doesn't smell  ;D

Thanks for the info about the Benzol  :thumbsup: One of the birds has a problem so I need to act fast and treat all of them I suspect.
Does it treat the coop too?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »
Hi Ian. Benzol Benzoate looks like milk of magnesia. Stuff we got you dilute 50:50 with water and brush it on up the scales to get it underneath. Usually assisted by my wife who holds the bird standing in a tray (bird not wife) so I don't waste any. Just disinfect the coop with Poultry shield. Scaley spreads very slowly and is killed easily.

We compost over a 3 year cycle. Spread a years worth on half the veggy plot. The other untreated side then used for root veg. Alternate every year. We don't grow enough really and the ground is getting too strong for some plants like cougettes and leeks. Our sweet corn was fantastic -until we had no rain and it blew over! Purple sprouting is massive so good crop coming in March.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 09:03:08 pm »

Thanks   :thumbsup:

Usually assisted by my wife who holds the bird standing in a tray (bird not wife) easily.

Love that  ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »
Me too!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS