Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How often do you clean out your coops?  (Read 33150 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: How often do you clean out your coops?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:19 pm »
Now we digress. A good few years ago I was walking through the park in South Queensferry. I walked past a group of young people, and one of them called out to me 'Hey! Missus! Yer cat's deed!' So I went on my way to college in Dunfy and relayed the encounter. They all looked at my ankles and laughed, and said 'Aye, yer cat's deed.' Now, I'm from South West Scotland, where dead cats and ankles have no business being in the same sentence. In Central Scotland, however, it means that your trousers are too short. They were. They're not now. They are, however, encrusted with chicken s**t.   So there.

robert waddell

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »
south west Scotland will have its own colloquial terminology   so you were walking in south quensferry and made your way to dunfermline hope you were not walking esp on water ;)
ps you were lucky you were not walking in the park in toryglen (glasgow)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »
I GOT THE TRAIN!!  Doh!

Anyway, in SW Scotland there are loads of colloquialisms. CAE. Plural for cow. There are loads, but the Vino Collapso kicked in a while ago, as you know, so the memory is long gone. But it's the cadence of speech which makes every region of Scotland particular.

I'm sure I could walk on water right now, or even fly.......!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 10:35:58 pm »
Simples when they need cleaned out & when Ive got time, cheers gin going down well tonight. wahoo.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 10:38:28 pm »
Hear hear. Chin chin.  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 11:24:19 pm »
Doganjo, Charlie T owns the sire of our cocker spaniel pup. He (Charlie, not the dog) was at school with my sister, He's fantastic with the dogs, and a great guy. Anyone looking for help with their dogs would be well advised to go to him. He took my in law's sprocker while they were on hols, and turned her from an unruly pup to being well on her way being a good gun dog. We'll be breeding from our bitch in a couple of years, and as it stands have all the pups bagsed already, however I may be posting an advert on this at some stage for any pups not sold....!
I think he's great!  His Mum lives in Culross and is friends with my pal.  y pups are usually all bagsed before matings too - well done!  Put photies up of yer we  girlie.  Do you work her?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 12:03:27 am »
Mine get cleaned out, errr, not very often. It's only a 4x5, only 5 + cockerel, but it's the fact it's only about 4.6ft high and I have to go in on my knees that puts me off. They are out in the fields all day, and its dry in there, but now I feel guilty so that's tomorrows job (if it's not raining and a swamp down there).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 12:19:48 am »
Lucky chickens. Or pookies, as we rather embarrassingly call them.

Me and my family: Bok-box.  (And I call them, "Bok bok.  Bok bok.")

BH: choox.  (He calls them, "Chook-chook-chook")

It did take BH's hens a while to learn that they are now bokbox and should come when called thus, it means corn!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 12:38:18 am »
I call 'em chooks too  :D

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:08 am »
Hello Chaps and chapesses  :wave:

I took absolutely NO umbridge at the comments whatsoever. I am impossible to offend and I won't stop asking questions  ;D

I have put an explanation on the other thread as to how often they are cleaned out etc so I think I'm doing ok anyway.

On a final note, thanks for the kind thoughts plums  :) and Dizzycow - can I have some of what you are drinking???  ;D ;D

Keep smiling folks.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 06:13:51 am »
my lot get the dropping board scraped every cou[ple of days, depending on the amount on it....and the nest boxes (where a couple of them sleep, please stop that girls!) everyday. the floor gets done on a need to basis.

the goose run i sweep every morning, it has a rubber mat, but their house only gets done in the spring, i check it everyday, but they don't poo in it! nice clean birdies, geese!

the ducks...oh my word they are dirty little blighters....i do them about once a week, they just have to put up with it, its their own fault!
thye all free range all day long anyway,

and, i am incredibly jealous that you lot where on here having drinkies and chats whilst i was at work, damn you!
who got the pig in a poke yesterday then? lol!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 08:23:14 am »
oh dizzycow, you did give me some giggles last night! I'm so glad that a conversation about chicken sheds and poo can turn into a friendly chat with us all and Ian I was worried about your feelings so I'm glad you are fine about it all - because it seems apparant to me that we all clean our coops out about as often as each other and yes, they get pretty minging very quickly!
I do lean heavily on my children to help, they did ask for a hen of their own so I shout "right chicken owners ...this way..." and they all do their bit. Milli the eldest has to do goat duties because she is keeping a new kid in March but the other 3 shovell chook poo.
and thank you for explaining "cream puff" - you'd think i'd have a fair guess at these things being from a cockney family but no, I was trying to keep up with dizzycow (but on the plum wine) so was a bit slow  ;) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:34 am »
Plum wine sounds goooood. Or bad, bad for me, that is. More drunken ramblings may occur. I bought wine making thingies last year, but haven't made anything yet. Now, if I could become self sufficient in wine I'd be loaded!  ;D

Doganjo, we should be working our cocker, she's very bright, however she was intended as a family pet who can go out on a shoot and she's just had her first day. She shook with excitement the entire time and just wanted to play with the other dogs. Unfortunately she has a nasty habit of buggering off, and taking our matronly lab with her. I'm so worried about the roads and them causing an accident. So we can't let the pair of them out together, they have to go separately, it's a nightmare. When we first got her and she was about three months she disappeared. We searched for 24 hours, dug up every rabbit hole for miles, cried and cried, friends came with their dogs to help look, so traumatic. There's an infrequently used railway line nearby, she had crossed it and jumped down into a drain hole and couldn't get out. We couldn't hear her bark because the railway line is built up and she was below the ground. We were lucky that it didn't rain that night, she could well have drowned. Oh, the joys.
So we should be working harder with her is the answer. BUT she does retrieve eggs which my cream legbars lay behind the hay bales, comes in (through the cat flap) with such joy when she finds one, it's adorable. Very soft mouthed.

We're looking forward to breeding from her, it's not something I've done before. I've been trying to attach a photo of her (she's very beautiful) but my files are all too large. Drat.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:04 am »
 Wow what I have missed in one night :o

Chickens here, yes well, the girls in the ebay coop get about weekly clearouts - the slide out tray doesn't because the wood warped very slightly and I have to reach in through popholes and the nextboxes so it's a bit of a faff on my back ::)

Sadly the new gang have yet to be cleaned out after 2 weeks - the coop I bought with them was hand made and the back comes off but is sitting against the fence so again requires contortions or a complete lift away.  With George the way he is right now, I'm avoiding it and just taking a couple handfuls out when I reach in for eggs :(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 11:08:03 am »

"Quote" from Wombles first post.....
Come on folks, 'fess up - it's theraputic!     In fact, I dare you to go out RIGHT NOW and take a pic of your coop in whatever state it's currently in.... anybody feeling brave?? 

scraped out regular --- dry clean chooks are happy ones!

Tilly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS