Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age for pork ?  (Read 13946 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
What age for pork ?
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:09:49 pm »
Hello,

We have 2 OSB boys, now aged 3 months, we are just wondering at what age they are best ( shh make sure they aren't listening) taken to the abattoir. We were originally told 26-30 weeks, but I have been reading on here and have seen someone say 11 months ?
What seems to be the normal age for pork ? is there a definate time scale   

Thanks 
Debbie

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: What age for pork ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:53:32 pm »
Are the boars entire? How well grown are they at present?

I would be hesitant to run entire boars on past 6 months. You should be aiming to get them to 65-75kg by or before 6 months.

You should be able to get osbs up to weight at around 22 weeks.

BB

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:48:54 am »
If they are neutered then 11 months for bacon is fine.  Otherwise as Billy says around 6 months. 

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:02:11 am »
Mine is about to go off he is 13 months GOS, he should be okay shouldn't he?  We kept hanging on to him hoping he would perform with the sow but not to be...

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:04:00 am »
Hello,

We've never slaughtered before 11 months, all our boars remain intact and we've never had any taint (Tams & OSB's). I'd certainly take the view to slaughter at 6 months with commercial breeds but not rare breeds who mature a lot slower. Sure you could get the pigs to slaughter weight at 6 months but you'd have to be very careful not to be rearing a big lump of lard.

Cheers

Gavin

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:11:54 am »
We find seven months is the max for entire boars - otherwise it's virtually impossible to sell. Boar taint is very rare, but nobody wants to take the risk.

Just as a precaution, take the boars as far away from any female pigs as possible.

Sizewise, our Saddlebacks are usually ready for pork at about seven or eight months.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:48:22 am »
Hello,

We've never slaughtered before 11 months, all our boars remain intact and we've never had any taint (Tams & OSB's). I'd certainly take the view to slaughter at 6 months with commercial breeds but not rare breeds who mature a lot slower. Sure you could get the pigs to slaughter weight at 6 months but you'd have to be very careful not to be rearing a big lump of lard.

Cheers

Gavin

We are the same, our boars are entire and we seldom slaughter before 12 months, we have never had the "taint" either.
We have six about ready to go, their bacon is brilliant and the sausages, out of this world.

Pigtails

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:22:01 pm »
We too have gone to 12 months with an entire boar with no problems,  The oldest we have slaughtered was a Tamworth/Saddleback cross at eighteen months.  Slow grown and maximum size,  she was georgous and tender.  Wonderful joints, bacon and gammons.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:28:24 pm »
I know boar taint is uncommon in tradtional breeds however is it really worth risking of you on have a few pigs? not for me!

Also with regards to age, if a boar is 11 or even 12 months old surley their too big to be a porker! At that age you've got too be looking at baconer size?

BB

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:55 pm »
sent ours at 7 months both were old spot cross berkshire, meat was excellent very lean, 78 & 79 kilos dead weight................neil

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 07:45:55 pm »
Just add to my last post, for the benefit of those who arnt sure, a porker should be around 65kg 80ish kg live weight.

A baconer is a pig that weigh's in excess of 100kg live weight.

Also if you are going to keep them to baconer size check with your chosen abattoir that they have the facility's to cope with such a big pig. Not all do!

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:13 pm »
The rare breeds are different in every conceivable way,
commercial pigs are just that, they do not experience compansionship from others of their breed,
they are artificially inseminated, whether they want it or not, this is not life but hell for an animal whose social life is
it's basic pig instinct.

I think it all depends on the particular farmer's relationship with the pig,
Our rare breeds, enjoy life to the full, we cater for all of their needs and in return after a reasonably long life
they give us good food in return.

The less trauma to the pig the better the taste at the end of the day.

I could go on, but I won't.
Pigtails

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 10:01:31 pm »
I agree the majority of rare breed pig's are lucky enough to be kept by people like us who care for, nurture and provide them with a life a commercial pig would never be allowed to enjoy.

Buts where's the sence in growing a pig on past its optimum weight for pork if its a porker you looking for in the first place?

BB

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:45 pm »
Hello,

These age and weights posts are always a good source of discussion ! I guess it all down to preference. Our boars & gilts are all dual purpose pork & bacon pigs dependent of what is selling in our farm shop. Our abattoir has no weight limit either so whatever size we get them to is irrelevant for us.
We've always thought it a shame to curtail their lives unnecessarily early.

Cheers

Gavin

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:34:11 am »
I think its all in what your plans are. If you can sell 100lbs. of meat for $300 or you can sell 200lbs of meat for $600 why grow until they are 200lbs? they definatly eat more in the second half of their life than they do in the first half. (those big porkers can eat and eat and eat) your getting the same price per lb but your saving on the feed cost.

I ran into a situation recently selling roasting pigs. I keep them 4-5 months and have them slaughtered and sold as a roasting pig. works out good for all

Now if you are keeping a pig for yourself. then thats a different story becuase I want as much meat in the freezer as possible. 250-300lbs is a good weight after that they get fatty i've found (how ever long it takes you to get this weight is the age you kill)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS