Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help plz.... how much room for pigs  (Read 7046 times)

kyle

• Joined Mar 2009
help plz.... how much room for pigs
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:31:29 pm »
we were looking into having some pigs and becoming a small holder we were going to put them in our garden. i was wondering if this was enough room to keep 2 pigs. the length is 18 ft by 12 but we can extend that by 7 or 8ft and it is the same width all along. is this really enough room for 2 pigs. thanks plz reply :)   

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: help plz.... how much room for pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »
if that is the total size of your garden I would have to say no. that would be destroyed in no time, and perhaps not near enough room for the good welfare of your pigs. can you get hold of more space?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:55:26 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There is another thread on here http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,1945.0.html explaining why ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:08:22 pm »
anyone get the feeling of deja vue here? ;)

No dont do it!!

See the other thread posted above. If that is your entire garden Environmental Heath would probably have something to say too!

BB

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:01:30 am »
I hate to be negative especially when anyone wants to keep pigs, however, you would have to constantly poo pick.  Even in a really hot summer they would turn it into the Somme.  Horrendous flies because in such a small area you could never keep it clean enough.  Pigs need a fair size area.  The official stocking rate is 6 sows per acre.  Land has to be rested or quickly becomes pig sick. 

Could you approach your local council to see if they have any land they would rent for you.  (As close to you as possible as they would need checking several times a day).

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:39:32 am »
Hi,
I'm sorry but I agree with everyone else. You don't have enough space for pigs, for all the reasons mentioned above and the fact that they just wouldn't be happy in such a confined space and depending on the breed would possibly start trying to break out or show signs of aggression.
Don't be put off though, as Hilarys mum says - ask in your local area (where abouts are you?) for 'spare' council land, try Hugh FW's landshare site or join a local small holders group and maybe 'pig share' with someone more experienced - this last option would give you a great idea of what's involved without it being your sole responsibility and without bearing the full brunt of the costs (and it is quite a costly hobby unfortunately)
Good luck & let us know how you get on  :pig:
Karen

DavidnChris

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:18 am »
Two pigs would take that area apart in about an hour.

kyle

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:52 pm »
thanks all we are gona try n get in touch with the councle n see if we can use some of the land behind us (WHICH IS A DAM LOT!) n if we can us it we will put sum pigs so thanks again all i will keep intouch. :pig: :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 06:51:29 am »
Hi Kyle, you'll make a great smallholder, please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:21:44 pm »
Well you'll all love me, not. My neighbours and i (their allotment) have got 2 weaners that will be sent off at 6months old for pork/bacon and they are on an area that is 10ftx40ft, which is about 400sqft.. not much bigger if you add the extra 8ft on to your 18ft x 12ft.
However i would agree that you cannot continualy put pigs on there, and not leave them on longer than 16 weeks (24 weeks slaughter, but buy in at 8 weeks) we aiming for one of the pigs to be weighing in at 80kg+, so yes fed 18% protein, but that said pig is a Welsh pig bred to gain weight fast. My neighbours will use the allotment for veg, up until about september time and then have more pigs on again.. to have xmas pork/bacon, then the land will be rested again till not sure when.
I wouldnt consider for a moment to try breeding pigs on that sort of sized plot. Defintely need an acre or so for that as you have all litter to deal with.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »
Where do you put the "2 black rock hens, 5 quails, 2 rex doe rabbits, 3 dwarf lop bucks (technically my mum has 2 of the males, but she lives about 7 doors down) and 3x 3 week old baby rabbits", in the attic?  Lol

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 07:50:55 pm »
Where do you put the "2 black rock hens, 5 quails, 2 rex doe rabbits, 3 dwarf lop bucks (technically my mum has 2 of the males, but she lives about 7 doors down) and 3x 3 week old baby rabbits", in the attic?  Lol

They live in my garden, not my neighbour's.  ;)
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS