Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wether to buy a grey fergie?  (Read 12571 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Wether to buy a grey fergie?
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:22:58 am »
I have seen a 1948 fergie for sale, in working order with a front bucket, comparing the ones on e-bay it looks cheap.
 The old boys round here love their tractor meets and drive outs. I would want it for basic work, not ploughing. We were thinking of getting a modern small tractor but would this be a bit of fun? we have plenty of space to store it under cover.
 Opinions please.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Wether to buy a grey fergie?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 06:03:12 am »
Buy it!
We have a grey and gold in perfect working order and we show it!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:59:39 am »
My oh would say buy it, you can still get parts from tractor manufacturers or original stuff off ebay. We  did up an old red fergie with mainly original parts and it has been a real work horse,well worth the £??? (ohs secret). You just have to be careful on the gear you buy for it, our  disc hay cutter is slightly too heavy but the field  is flat so it manages . You do need to be mechanically aware though , my OH was a HGV mechanic for many years which cut down bills.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:00 am »
Knew it was a bargin, sold in 5 hours and not to me.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:46 am »
he who hesitates is lost :farmer:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »
The David Brown Tractor Club had an auction today at Meltham near Huddersfield , where they were made. There was a late 1960s' David Brown 880 Selectamatic that made £750. Now that is the old tractor to have. Old grey Fergys are ok, but if you want a classic tractor that will do most jobs, built like a brick ******* house and stronger than the smell, very economical on fuel (red diesel, not TVO or petrol), then I would recommend a David Brown 880. Underated and under priced compared to the very common Fergys. I have two 880s in my stable, I had a MF590, never again.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:04:17 pm »
want to pay through the nose then get a massey ford or john deere 60-80 model years want something cheaper as odin says david brown  international (not european) nuffield or leyland and not forgetting the zetor :farmer:

Chrisnoel

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »
want to pay through the nose then get a massey ford or john deere 60-80 model years want something cheaper as odin says david brown  international (not european) nuffield or leyland and not forgetting the zetor :farmer:

And what is wrong with a Dexta?    Mind my 880 is a bit more powerfull.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »
nothing wrong with a dexta other than the price  i am a dyed in the wool ford man and there are alternatives out there far cheaper than  what some are expecting for rotten wrecks :farmer:

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »
The Grey Fergie was a breakthrough in farm technology as well as an early example of outsourcing as a business model.  But it's not a very practical tractor because the hydraulics don't work unless the PTO is turning.  Double clutches came later.

It's great as a hobby machine because it's all pretty straight forward and most of the parts are readily available because there are so many still in existence.  However getting bits for the early 6v petrol version is harder (so is starting it in winter) and the later TEF diesel must be the best. 

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:13:03 pm »
Top tip. Have a look at the asking price of classic tractors and the bids on e bay. Masseys are through the roof in price and they wont do anymore work than all the other classics. There is an MF148 on there, claiming that it is rare and the starting bid is ten thousand ? Madness. An MF165 at £3500 with bids on it ? There is a nice looking Dexta with loader, up and working, £2750 and no bids. A perfectley decent David Brown 995 at £1500 plus vat. I know which one of them I would bid on , it will do everything the others can do and all the parts are available.
Finally , Massey Fergusons do not use a chassis, they rely on a heavy engine sump and the engine block, as a result, the blocks crack behind the cylinder liners. It cost me a lot of money that lesson and that is why I would not have another. The other tractors may not be as pretty to look at but do the job.
A son of the soil .

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »
This is a Case 695L and a K reg (92). 72 Horse Power
Ex Surrey County Council, so it ain't done no hard work.
Everything works ok and on 90% tyres.

Bought it at auction for £3800. plus all the add ons.

Nice cab and seat (bouncy)
After owning a fergy I'm glad to be shot of it. Bloody freezing and wet in winter and covered in dust in summer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:25:04 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »
Thats a right thing, you won't snap that in half with that chassis, looks a good cab as well. Has it got brakes on the front axle?
A son of the soil .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS