Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dell wireless/wired printer - Help & advice please  (Read 3523 times)

HappyHippy

Dell wireless/wired printer - Help & advice please
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:09:59 pm »
Hoping someone can help me sort this  :thumbsup:

I bought a wireless printer/scanner last year (it also can be hard wired straight into laptop/pc) installed the software on my laptop and successfully printed stuff using wireless technology  ;D :thumbsup:
However, it's been the one and only time I've managed it  :( Even hard wiring it straight into my laptop it tells me there's a 'communication error'  >:(
I've removed and re-installed the software but it's still not working  ???
The strange thing is that I can scan items on in which successfully reach the laptop  ??? ??? ??? So, surely there is communication of some sort between the two devices  :-\

It's a Dell printer (if that makes a difference) and I can't return it cos I got it through fleabay  ::) ;)
So, what do I do to make it work ? As well as removing and re-installing the software I've tried switching on the printer before the laptop, the laptop before the printer and both scenario's with hard wire and wireless - I still can't get it to work  :'(

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE !  :-*
Karen  :wave:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Dell wireless/wired printer - Help & advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »
Only 2 things I can suggest:-

If you're using a laptop; are you using the mains adaptor every time (i.e. were you using mains when it worked and battery when it didn't)? If not you should check your powersaving setting to be sure the relevant (wireless/ LAN / USB) link is enabled - I only suggest this 'cos I've sometimes wondered why my laptop doesn't connect to the internet - only to remember (after several mins of fiddling) that I've got it set up to disable the wireless comms when running from battery.

Have you checked Dell's website for the latest drivers? the software supplied with the device could be quite old.

Don't understand why it would scan and not print - unless you've selected 'pause print job' in the past and never un-paused it (had that problem in the past).

If that doesn't help then you might have to wait for an IT expert...

mab

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
Brill Mab, thanks  :thumbsup:
I'll try them all and see if I have any joy
Karen  :-*

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:25:15 pm »
Have you got a print job stuck in the spooler, i.e. is there the printer icon in the bottom taskbar tray and have you had a look in your network to see it is seeing that and that it is set as your default printer for when your printing stuff? What version of windows are you using?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:01 am »
What version of windows are you using?
and is it the same as it was when you got it to work?  I bought a new laptop running Windows 7 and it played havoc with my old Brother printer/scanner/copier - it had previously been very boring, just did what you asked, every time, the same every time, and now it is very random, sometimes scanning and sometimes not, won't fax  ::)  There are no drivers for it, it uses the W7 generic ones, so I am stuffed (and have bought a new cheapo HP printer, which seems fine.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:24:18 am »
Have you got a print job stuck in the spooler, i.e. is there the printer icon in the bottom taskbar tray and have you had a look in your network to see it is seeing that and that it is set as your default printer for when your printing stuff? What version of windows are you using?
Hi Captain,
Nope nothing stuck in the spooler. It is showing on the network and is the default printer  ???
It's the same version of windows as last time too  :-\

so I am stuffed (and have bought a new cheapo HP printer, which seems fine.)
Me too me thinks Sally ! My dad's wee cheapy works fine  ::)
Haven't actually tried it again yet - but will report back soon  :thumbsup:
Karen x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
Morrisons have printers for £26 each at the mo - look Ok too!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:43 am »
Most places are selling the HP 1050A deskjet printer / copier / scanner for £24.99.  That's the one I've bought and it seems fine.  The Comet bloke said it was one of the most reasonable in terms of rate of use of ink and cost to replace ink cartridges.

I don't know if that's the same one Morrisons are selling.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS