Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sugarbeet and feed supplements  (Read 10051 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sugarbeet and feed supplements
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:15 pm »

Last winter (esp when cold) I was giving an extra warm feed about 11pm/midnight, I was down there at midnight Christmas eve, I know its only a date, but I got quite emotional, there again, it's such a lovely feeling in the still of the night, just the three of us, they calmly munching and me sat watching thinking how lucky I am.  :love:;D

Just reading this made my eyes fill up a bit!! see I'm soppy too  ;)  People we know tell us how lucky we are to have a smallholding  and apart from the sad stuff, the hard work where youput your back out, falling over in the mud etc I think hubby and I really appreciate it too. you are giving me ideas for xmas eve now - glass of plum wine, with the goats while I wait to hear the sleighbells  ;)

What a lovely idea.  Not sure where I'd get the plum wine but I'm sure a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon would do instead.   :D

Mulled Cabernet Sauvignon at this time of year I think... it's not just the goats who are softies around here...

Chrisnoel

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
Mine drink cold water straight from the beck, either directly or in their buckets!
I've occasionally taken the chill off it in very cold (-18 ) weather.....

Hi Have you tried tempting your goats with household vegetable water?  with salt, hot or cold. My goats love beetroot water with the skins in.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 07:05:46 pm »
Hi Have you tried tempting your goats with household vegetable water?  with salt, hot or cold. My goats love beetroot water with the skins in.

Didn't even think of this!  And I cooked a couple of beetroot yesterday, too.  Still have four to cook, so will offer the resulting beetroot-stained liquid and see if they like it. 

Chrisnoel

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »
Can anyone tell me the best way to feed sugarbeet cubes? 

I used to feed them to cattle without soaking and to horses well-soaked.  I think I have heard that goats like them drenched with hot water and fed still warm but I cannot remember who told me! 

At the moment my two GGs are on sheep mix and Just Grass morning and evening at milking time with ad-lib hay and any forage I can cut, at the moment mostly nettles, brambles, willow etc.  I want to give a sugarbeet feed midday now it is  finally getting colder.  Does this seem right?

Also, should I get a feed supplement, like Caprivite?  One is a goatling just mated and the other an in-milk first kidder, also just mated.  I plan to dry her off in February, she is due to kid in late April.  She is only giving 2 pints maximum per day, which is all we need, so I don't think she is depleting herself yet.

Any advice welcome, please.

Hi Re. sugarbeet,   My goats have a handfull of beet shreds midday, Cheaper than pellets!!!
Re. Supplements , Rockies, Red for Copper, Yellow for Cobalt, they lick what they want. these blocks are salt based so will rot any metal trough or metal gate, plastic containers are best, but they are not weather proof.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »

Didn't even think of this!  And I cooked a couple of beetroot yesterday, too.  Still have four to cook, so will offer the resulting beetroot-stained liquid and see if they like it. 

MIne ignored the beetroot skins that I put in with their veg.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS