Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand Rearing & introducing Pygmy Kid  (Read 2299 times)

Saranic

• Joined Dec 2011
Hand Rearing & introducing Pygmy Kid
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:59:58 pm »
Hi everyone... hope someone can give me some advice :)

We had 2 Pygmy goats, one male & one female, who we we going to breed from once they turned the correct age! Unfortunatly our doe turned out to be pregant (this happened before we got her & we were unaware of this). She gave birth to one healthy doe, but prolapsed giving birth to the twin... we lost Mum & one of the Kids.

So.... now we have a little doe who is being hand reared. She is 3 and a half weeks old and is currenlty living in a cozy shed in the garden.

The advice I require is:

Her Dad is still intact so is it too late to have his castrated (he is 9 months old) If so, will he then get on with a young doe... what age can we intoduce them. If it is too late to have him castrated I am worried about her being lonely if we cannot keep them together (I would rather not have to get another goat for her company) We have 6 horses so he has tagged along with them... so at least he isnt on his own.

Thank you for reading and hope someone can help me with my dilema!  :-\

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Hand Rearing & introducing Pygmy Kid
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:44 am »
The vet can castrate surgically at any age, although I don't know if he will continue to smell like a boy.... That may be your best option, unless you can sell your male and buy another female instead for company, then go back to the breeding option once the little one is of the right age with a new male or using someone else's instead.

I am also not sure if the male will be friendly to the little one, so cannot advice on that. But your female kid will need a companion soon!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS