Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting socks  (Read 4068 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Knitting socks
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:33:22 am »
I have never tried knitting socks but noticed that quite a few of you on the forum do so.
Are they worth knitting?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Knitting socks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:07:26 pm »
I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'worth'.  Financially, probably not.  However, knitting socks is great fun and as they are such small projects you see the results quickly.  You can get fine yarn with a pattern dyed into it so that your socks come out with an intricate pattern. Or you can knit big chunky ones in whatever colours and patterns you want.  My OH loves handspun handknitted boot socks and kilt socks as they are very comfy, but they don't wear well.  I do have some nylon yarn to add in to the soles but haven't tried it yet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »
Exactly what the lady says  :)

I like the sock yarn that's variegated and had a bit of nylon and stretch in it (I use Regia). I like the fact that they get finished (unlike the number of jumpers I still have on needles....). Haven't tried making any out of homespun, but wellie socks might be a good use for some of my early stuff  :D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:48:18 pm »
Here they are  ;D    Wool - Blue Faced Leicester, so lovely and soft.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:58:59 pm »
Lovely as presents (to the right person!! My OH would not be thrilled, but I would!!)  - I always had a beautiful pair of bedsocks (overcomes the wear problem) from my gran, and am looking forward to making some from homespun this year.  I cant knit yet, but Ive bought a sock book!!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »
Blinkers I am really impressed with your socks.  They look very professional.

FiB, I don't think my OH would be impressed either.  Well that means I can make them for myself and won't need to feel guilty.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »
Blinkers I am really impressed with your socks.  They look very professional.

FiB, I don't think my OH would be impressed either.  Well that means I can make them for myself and won't need to feel guilty.

Sally

Awwwww, gee thanks Sally - {{{blushing and preening at the same time }}}
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:39:41 pm »
I think your socks look lovely too Blinkers  8)  You can almost feel how lovely they are just by looking. Your cables remind me of another reason for knitting socks - you can experiment with all sorts of patterns without being committed to doing them endlessly as in a jumper.

A good sock book is The Twisted Sisters Sock Book which I think is from Interweave Press (US) - as usual it's in another room so will have to check.  It's written for spinners and dyers but has knitting tips too.  The socks are very multi-coloured, some even with individual toes like gloves. The Americans are very fond of socks  ;D and also seem to set the trends in handspinning.

It is possible to knit your socks from the toe upwards, rather than the more usual way of from the top down.  I haven't tried it yet but I expect I will  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
Will have to look that book up Fleecewife  :thumbsup:   I think I'm a bit addicted to sock knitting now.  I can at least lounge back in my arm chair in the evening with feet up and glasses on end of shnoz.....so that I watch a bit of telly too.....WHEN there's something on watching, that is.   If I'm spinning, I gotta sit upright and its a bit harder on the bum muscles too  ::)   ;D :wave:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:49 pm »
When I had a spinning and weaving workshop, we used to sell handspun, hand-knitted slipper socks.  A local leather worker cut out the soles for us.  You do need to ask to have holes made alll the way round the edge for sewing to the sock though.  It's hard work trying to get a needle through leather.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:00:51 am »
Oh, I've ordered some soles like that. I remembered them from slipper-socks as a kid. These ones are Regia too ( I sound like an advert for them, not intentional  :D). Good for making a special pair of thick socks into something harder wearing, less easy to stick your feet into your wellies  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS