Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trailer Size for 1 or 2 Goats  (Read 3070 times)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
Trailer Size for 1 or 2 Goats
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:39:29 pm »
Hey all, I am looking to buy and convert a trailer to transport my 2 goats should the need arise. My goats are medium sized Saanens, what is the minimum size a trailer needs to be to accommodate two goats?

Many Thanks.
Joe.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Trailer Size for 1 or 2 Goats
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:15:20 am »
My little trailer is 6ft. x 4ft. and was plenty big enough to transport five Shetland sheep so that size should be more than enough for a couple of goats. :goat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
Ours is the small Ifor Wiliams trailer, can be converted from animal carrier (with roof & ramp, loading gates), to flatbed to highsided mesh - really good workhorse on the holding - takes up to 8 medium sized adult sheep or up to 16 square bales of hay. Can also be (wo)man-handled when empty - good for my trailer-manouvering abilities (or lack of it!).

it is easier to have a ramp for the animals to walk up, especially if heavily in-kid/lamb, and for transporting anything to the abattoir you will need a ramp and side gates.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:05:44 pm »
I must confess I prefer a small horse/stock trailer.  This way I can stand up inside it.... the very low roofed ones are difficult if you have to resort to crawling inside because a goat won't come out !!!!!!

At shows I have found the full height trailers are so much more useful.... you can camp in them,  there is more airflow for the animals inside because you have always got to take into account if stick in traffic on a very warm day.... goats can die of heatstroke.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:40:32 pm »
We have an Ifor Williams 510 for the ponies, but very big just for goats, so we bought an old Rice double horse trailer, still roomy enough, and we can carry any sort of livestock besides goats as its tall enough.  Just thinking ahead for when we move, we will be able to carry quite a few of the goats at a time with the old trailer :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »
Just remembered make sure you know what size of trailer your car can tow, I have a normal family estate 1.9TDi, and have (probably illegaly) towed a cow trailer once.... it just about managed it for the short journey to the local abattoir with our first two pigs.

For most of the larger trailers you will need a 4x4 or a larger estate car.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
My trailer is 5x4 and, although I have transported two Sanaans in it, it was a bit cosy to say the least.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS