Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injured leg  (Read 1976 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Injured leg
« on: November 10, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »
One of my 3 yr old goats jumped over a 6 foot metal gate today and back again - she is now limping although she is putting some weight on the foot - suggesting not broken.

What should I be looking for?   I expect she has strained something, but as she is hopefully in kid, I don't want to upset her too much by poking her around.

She is "The Jumper" of the herd!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Injured leg
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
Give her some time - it will probably heal itself.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:19:44 pm »
Try and keep her in a smaller area than normal, so she doesn't move around too much and therefore use it more. Aim for her resting it- easier said than done I know!

If it was one of mine I would try and have a feel of her leg to see if there was any heat/swelling/ pain etc- but depends on whether or not this will upset her even more than being left quietly!

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:42:39 am »
if a break is not out of line.... then they generally walk (limp !) on it.   The risk is that continued use may knock the break out of line.

If the leg appears puffy.... it will usually be below the hock/knee.... then suspect a break.      It will need support for a few weeks to heal properly & straight.

Otherwise as others have suggested,  keep her on limited movement and see if the lameness goes.

Goats are prone to breaking legs unfortunately when jumping.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:29:39 am »
The other thing mine do is pull apart the two bit of their feet when jumping about, which obviously hurts and they limp like mad. Hope your silly girl hasn't broken anything and is fine soon  :-*

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »
Called the vet out this morning as she was looking like she was in pain.  He thinks she has pulled some ligaments, so I have her in a pen by herself for a day or 2.  He gave her an anti-inflammatory which will last 3 days.

My husband said, so she'll at least learn not to jump high gates then - ha ha, as if!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 03:46:07 pm »
poor ol' goat
Hope the treatment works ... and no, she'll probably not learn!
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:49 pm »
Poor girl.   :(  Hope she's better soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS