Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mating question  (Read 2831 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
Mating question
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:57 am »
This is all new to us so I've a couple of questions, Polly went to see Jacob yesterday afternoon to "be seen to". John the Goat Man seemed fairly sure the deed had been done and she came home again (the stud fee is that I rotovate a small piece of land in his garden, which semed like a good deal to me).

This morning she's still very noisy and still wagging her tail like a cocker spaniel - does this carry on after mating or is it a sign that she needs another go?
Also Nicky is showing no signs at the moment, is Polly's season likely to stimulate hers?

Ta ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Mating question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:04 am »
If mating is observed... as it should be... then there is absolutely no doubt if a goat is mated properly and the male goat ejaculates.   There is no probably about it !!!!!!    There is one occasion when doubt is reasonable... that is  using a male kid for the first time !!

If covered successfully then calling/tail wagging normally ceases within 12 -24 hours,  in my experience of 35 years.   My goats stop calling/wagging within a few hours usually.

One goat can often stimulate another because she will smell of billy.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:46:32 am »
OK thanks - well John said it was done and Jacob is an old hand so I reckon the job's a good un then.

Obviously I'll keep an eye on her today.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:47:52 am »
Oh so she wasn't away for 6 days then.... because, unless 'John' has an official isolation unit, she should have stayed for 6 days  .......   her presence on John's holding would have triggered a 6 day standstill for him.

You might find that Trading Standards query this movement when the AML1 forms are sent in.... you should have done one for the movement to 'John' & then another for the goat to return home.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
He's got an area seperate to his holding where Jacob currently he is, he says it's DEFRA approved.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:16:50 pm »
You should see that... also he should provide you with a copy of the approval.

You still need to do Movement Licences even for an isolation unit.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:24:13 pm »
OK will do next time I walk up there (which will be today) - he lives just around the corner.

And I have done movement orders - don't want to be getting into trouble with Trading Standards - have enough hassle with them visiting to look at the products balms and stuff my partner makes - but that's another story !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS