Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New.... advice please pigs n chucks together  (Read 3994 times)

Geeza

• Joined Mar 2009
New.... advice please pigs n chucks together
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:51:10 pm »
Hi

I am about to register as a small holder. We live in a mid terrace house with a long enclosed garden. I have a brick built she size Front 12ft wide Side7 ft deep 7 ft high.

I can easily remove the front 12ft wide or part of if required (suggestions please) on to the front of this we have a sturdy metal mesh fence 12 ft wide 16ft deep enclosure that fastens to the shed. The run is on grass. The question is this: - Given this area 12ft x 16ft outdoor and 12ft x 7ft indoor will this be suitable to keep pigs and chicks together. There will be a Childs shed aprox 5ft x 5ft with perches and boxes in so secure and warn (this can be indoors or out) and something built for pigs indoors.

Have I enough room?? Will all be happy??

We want 2 breeding pigs so young go to table at earliest
12 ish chicks for eggs and eating.... can this be done to provide table birds and good layers constantly??
NB we can NOT have a cock neighbors will go mad

Any advice info etc will be appreciated LOTS
We are going to but within next few weeks

NB a big thing too is I would dearly like all to be Organic fed....
What is classed as Organic and what is the guide lines on what and what not can be fed

Thanks again

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: New.... advice please pigs n chucks together
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:21:22 am »
Have I enough room?? Will all be happy??

As I said in the other post the answer is NO - go for getting the allotments behind you - but no complaints - only positivity!  And jolly good luck.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ross

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:01:41 am »
That space is about enough for 4 or 5 free range layers. Pigs will have a very poor life in such a small area. Please think again.
There is no problem in the world that cannot be fixed by the judicious application of the appropriate hammer.

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:12 am »
Sorry , but I think you have to accept you do not have room for pigs, certainly not breeding pigs. There is not enough room for two let alone a load of piglets.
If your neighbours would find a cockerel a problem they will find pigs even more of a problem. Do not do it!
Please come back down to earth and be realistic. There are things you can do in a garden - keep a few chickens and grow fruit and veg. Its a start and you can move on from there.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »
Your garden will be representative of the Somme within a day.  The smell will upset the neighours, you will have animal health, DEFRA and the RSPCA on your doorstep within a week.  All that said just for the sake of the animals please reconsider it would be as bad as the inhumane elevages, without the justification of cheap food.  HM

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »
Hi
If you go for chicks only then you will need to separate the layers from the ones for food.  They need different feeding and I think you will need different breeds.  You would not get any meat of a normal grower/layer.  The diary from this website shows an update for March with the chicks bought for meat, if i recall they will be culled at 10 wks give or take.  A hen does not usually start laying till 20 wks. 
I live in a housing scheme and my 5 chooks still make some noise especially between 8-9 in the moring, they are usually ready for coming out at first light.  They also chook away after laying. They are not totally quiet.
If you have them on grass be prepared for all greenery to be eaten, mine are now on dirt and are happy scrapping away and i give them greens too supplement their diet. The garden does look like no mans land in their area but I dont mind, i change the top layer dirt regualry with the free council compost so the soil does not become too rotten, otherwise it smells. 
From the 5 layers i get 4 eggs each day, i have to give them away...I find they dont like everygreens and conifers everything else is food.

Good luck

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:53 pm »
A bit off-topic,but hey....

Gillian,
    Do you have room to split the run down the middle? The Balfour method of raising chickens in small backyards is tried and tested. They spend 2-3 weeks in one pen whilst the other pen has time to recouperate and the grass to grow a bit. Oh,and most people at work are only too happy to buy your free-range eggs from you,at least it would cover the cost of the feed.  :) ........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS