Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat mineral...  (Read 44037 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Goat mineral...
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 08:04:50 am »
Any questions.... everybody happy ?    Really do need your feedback otherwise this mineral mix may not be available again.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 09:15:36 am »
I got mine this morning and can't wait to see how it works on the girls.  I'll provide a report as soon as I can x

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 11:31:06 am »
Thank you very much I got my sample this morning.  Will report back asap on results.   ;D

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »
Thank you, mine was waiting on the doormat when I got back this afternoon.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »
going sound like a right idiot here ive only just read this post , ive only got 2 goats a girl and her castrate brother as company they live indoors at mo as they only have just started to let me hand feed them so i cant let them as i cant catch them , they are feed goats mix and hay and they have a lick do they need any thing else like minerals im a right  :dunce:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:19 am »
Hi.... thank you for contacting this forum.

Goat mix does not contain much more than sheep minerals.... the manufacturuers play safe !!!!!

Goats need the same minerals as a cow !     I fee mine on dairy nuts for cattle which gives them a better balance,  BUT they do need much more.

A goats metabolic rate is something like 3 times faster than a cow   and they have the ability to get 'rid' of minerals etc that they don;t need.... sheep appear not to have this facility.

Particularly as your girls are indoors I would highly recommend this mineral mix.... simply because even with a lick available, you cannot be sure that they are using it.... in my experience, the only lick a goat freely uses, is pure salt.

If you let me have your names & address I will get a sample sent to you.... there won't be miracles overnight but they will gradually improve in their coats, possibly need less hard feed because they are utilising better.

Would appreciate feed back.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:52 am »
Thank you for my sample.  Have started the milkers on it, and will report back ASAP.  Do hope this mineral trial is successful and it gets on the market.

Goats seem to get a poor deal in the matter of feeds and minerals on the market.  I study the list of contents on the tag on the bag (if there is one- and quite often not, and its illegal not to show the weight and contents)
and sometimes  it amazes me exactly what is in there - and whats not that should be.  Feed stores  I visit quite often only keep a bag or two of goat feed, and say they hardly sell any so not interested in sourcing good quality stuff ....and quite often its past its sell by date.  And if you asked for minerals, they would point at their feed block for sheep and cattle, or if you were lucky show you some Caprivite goat mineral.

I am just wondering if this does go on the market, obviously the company is local to Wytsend, which is many miles from us.  It may not readily be available to "us oop North" which would be a shame.  There again, feed can be ordered on line nowadays, so all is not lost :)

Fingers crossed this will go on the market.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:16 pm »
Roxy can you send this post to my email addy.... wytsendherd@yahoo.com.... I will forward to the Company concerned,  could be very important !

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:59 pm »
I shall report back asap, although i have only been sent enough to put it in one feed. Will I see a result from giving only one dose??

McR :wave:

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »
thank you for my sample, I intend to start the girls on it this week x

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 09:01:55 am »
Hi,

If it's not too late - we'd ilke to give it a go and would be more than happy to send a report wherever you wanted it to go with results.

I've two Golden Guernsey cross breed females, one of which we think is in kid and one which hopefully will be soon.

Ta  ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 02:49:58 pm »
Please can you send a PM with full address/name etc  and we will get a sample to you asap.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »
got my mineral today thank you i have started it tonight so will let you know how they get on with it , they turned there nose up at it so im hoping they will eat it up lol

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:06 pm »
thanks Wytsend, sample arrived today - signalled by 2 of the cats trying to climb inside the letterbox, so it must have fish oil in!
Will try them on it when I start the next sack of food - they always seem to perk up a little at the sound of a new bag being opened :)

:goat:
Little Blue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »
Many thanks will keep you/them posted, is there an equivelant for humans? :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS