Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie saying hello & seeking advice  (Read 9329 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Newbie saying hello & seeking advice
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 09:39:44 pm »
Lovely pics Violetspirit - nice to see someone else has a nutty 'I'll follow you anywhere' cat - oh and one each ear for goat tags but as said not electronic yet!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:55 pm »

That's if the sight of me walking two collies, a hound pup, and five piglets in the pasture every morning, or herding the lambs into the sheep pens with two collies and five piglets, hasn't already convinced them...  ;D

Haven't they watched the film 'Babe' then?

Castlemilk Moorits have lovely fleeces.

I am very glad to hear another spinner say that - a neighbour who spins has booked herself some fleece when I get some, but reading up about Bradford Counts and Staple Lengths I was beginning to think I was mistaken about it.

I have been told it's not the best fleece for a novice spinner, so I expect I'll have to be doing swapsies for a year or several until I gain some competence!

I've not spun it myself as I was a weaver who could spin but my ex-OH, who was a spinner who could weave, loved it.  You could always card it with another longer stapled wool to make it easier to spin.  :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:58 pm »
Castlemilk Moorits have lovely fleeces.

I am very glad to hear another spinner say that - a neighbour who spins has booked herself some fleece when I get some, but reading up about Bradford Counts and Staple Lengths I was beginning to think I was mistaken about it.

I have been told it's not the best fleece for a novice spinner, so I expect I'll have to be doing swapsies for a year or several until I gain some competence!

I've not spun it myself as I was a weaver who could spin but my ex-OH, who was a spinner who could weave, loved it.  You could always card it with another longer stapled wool to make it easier to spin.  :sheep:

Yes, I think that's what people do.  It's all greek to me at the mo, but I'm looking forward to learning...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS