Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?  (Read 35049 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:23 am »
My Granny used to get stuck with sock heels, but that was because she had to remember how to do it  :o, with no written pattern.  I would be hopeless without it being written down, but given a good pattern I love the magic of how just a few carefully placed increases and decreases produce a beautifully turned heel.

Good luck with it  :hshoe:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:19 pm »
Ive run out of wool for the next knitting project...must buy some! I dont think the spinning will provide any useful yarn any time soon. I knit whilst watching telly and NEED som now the long evenings are here. My spinning needs too much concentration at the moment I dont think I could cope with telly too!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »
I've just had to make some stitch markers for my new project as for the life of me I can't find the ones I made last year. This weekend I'm going to have to put my knitting to one side and make a needle roll to keep my needles in as I seem to loose them in summer and then have to buy new each winter and I may make one for my crochet hooks as well.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »
Really into my crafts at the moment, although the spinning is on the backburner 'cos I can't find enough time and patience to learn to do it properly ::) 

I'm knitting a Bowmont wool pullie for my youngest son right now.  Just finished knitting one for myself - first ever attempt at knitting a whole item of clothing!!!  I'm quite pleased with it, but my OH says it looks like a 'medieval garment' - not sure what he means by that, but I don't think it was quite the insult I took it to be  :D  I was really pleased with myself for getting it finished.  Must admit the seams were a bit wonky, but it fitted well.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
A badger.

yes really - Patons have got this woodland collection which is a badger, a mole, an otter, a hare, a hedgehog and a beaver.  Too cute for words, and a friend is expecting their first child this week,so I had better start sewing it up!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:16 pm »
I was looking at those patterns Greenerlife please post piccies when your finished

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »
at my work we have a spinning and knitting circle so I felt the pressure to have a go and I've nearly finished my first jumper! it was suppose to be a crimble present for my husband last year but I might just get it finished for this year! I'd love to knitt something from scratch ... from spinning but how long would it take to spin enough wool for a jumper? has anyone on here done that?

Red ;D
Red

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »
a baby cardigan, for my OH's grandaughter, due in 2 weekd
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 10:37:53 am »
My Granny used to get stuck with sock heels, but that was because she had to remember how to do it  :o, with no written pattern.  I would be hopeless without it being written down, but given a good pattern I love the magic of how just a few carefully placed increases and decreases produce a beautifully turned heel.

Cripes - clever Granny  :thumbsup:

OK, so I've turned the heel....but....it seems to have a line of little holes along each side where I've picked up the stitches.   They don't seem to show up in the photo of the finished sock on the pattern  :-\   Is it the way I've picked them up?   I picked up one side of each little 'chain' if that makes sense?  ??? ???
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:19 am »

OK, so I've turned the heel....but....it seems to have a line of little holes along each side where I've picked up the stitches.   They don't seem to show up in the photo of the finished sock on the pattern  :-\   Is it the way I've picked them up?   I picked up one side of each little 'chain' if that makes sense?  ??? ???

It sounds like you end stitches maybe a little slack, my grandma always told me to slip my first stitch on every row to keep the edges tight and neat, I wonder if it could be that.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 12:01:19 pm »

Cripes - clever Granny  :thumbsup:

I think it probably is the way you have picked up the stitches. Next time try a different way, such as picking up both sides of the chain, or the further inboard side.  I honestly can't remember which is the best way, so you will just have to experiment - unless someone else knows.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 12:09:16 pm »
at my work we have a spinning and knitting circle so I felt the pressure to have a go and I've nearly finished my first jumper! it was suppose to be a crimble present for my husband last year but I might just get it finished for this year! I'd love to knitt something from scratch ... from spinning but how long would it take to spin enough wool for a jumper? has anyone on here done that?

Red ;D

I taught myself to spin a good few years ago, and my incentive was to spin up enough to knit a jumper.  It took me about 3 weeks, but I did almost nothing else, because I was trying to get to grips with the spinning.  It then took me a further 3 weeks to knit the jumper, on circular needles, which do away with the need to sew seams.
However, it is really one of those unanswerable questions, because it depends on how quickly or slowly you spin, how big you are so how much yarn you need (I need a lot  ::)) and how much time you have to spin. The whole process is speeded up if you are using ready carded fibre as fleece preparation can take far longer than the actual spinning.  It is probably best to start with making a beanie hat as you don't need much yarn for that.
It now takes me much longer to spin enough yarn for a whole jumper, as I spend less time on it, and knitting up takes ages.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:28 pm »
I'd love to knit from one of my own fleeces but I think it would take me about 2 years to actually finish it!  :wave:
Red

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »
 ;D ;D The sooner you start the sooner you will finish  :D :D :wave: :sheep:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 06:18:39 pm »
Well, I've finished the first sock and it actually doesn't look too bad now.....although the toe end if rather square  ??? ??? Think I;ll just double check that bit  ::)    Anyway, sock number two is not on the needles  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS