Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weighing scales  (Read 6936 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Weighing scales
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:58:58 pm »
Anyone know of a good site to purchase hanging weighing scales...or any better ideas appreciated.

Morgan  :farmer:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Weighing scales
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:55:15 am »
What are you looking to weigh Morgan ?

Gavin

DavidnChris

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:26:04 am »
Hopefully this is going to be pigs !!
I've got two Saddlebacks arriving tomorrow and I'm told to grow them on "until they come up to about here" for bacon weight. Proper scales are going to be a bit expensive and I've read somewhere you can calculate the weight by measuring Length and Girth but this seems a bit vague..... there's a few of us out here who want to know the answer to this one.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:19:07 am »
Just les pigaroos. Do you think it's an unnecessary purchase Gavin? I didn't realish the though of trying to weigh a fully grown (mind of its own) pig !

Morgan  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:46:24 am »
This works:

Using an imperial tape measure (or divide by 2.5 before doing the calculation if using metric measure)

Measure from between ears to tail base (inches, length) around the shoulders and wrap underneath them (girth).

girth x girth x length divide by 400 = weight in LBs (if you want Kilos divide again by 2.2).

deduct a third to give you the carcass weight.  Its accurate to 3 kilos.  Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:40:29 pm »
That reminds me a little bit of maths in school. If a bath can hold 300 cublic litres and you have a bucket of coal that holds 14 kilos, how many buckets of coal can you fit in the bath..... GIVE ME A FRICKIN' BUCKET AND SOME DAMN COAL!! Lol. I was never good at math, but your system seems to be do-able. Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:44:35 pm »
Oh believe you me I need a calculator to even begin. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »
I often wondered how they could weigh me just by measuring my waist  ??? ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 04:54:19 pm »
answer to the question how many buckets of coal ?... none ...the baths full of water ...!!!! hehehe.... funny thing though .. it was always the other way round in our house ...the bath was always full of coal...... :o ::) ;D oh by the way , you can also get a pig weight tape measure !!

cheers

Russ

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »
Hello,

Hilarysmum's advice is what we did at first until we got the eye for this. One tip is that you should just be able to feel the ribs with gentle pressure, if you can clearly see the outline of them they are too thin and conversely if with gentle pressure you can't feel them then they are too fat. In theory you could use a sheep weighbridge - don't buy one though, most large flock keepers would have one so I'd use the "neighbour" system.

Cheers

Gavin

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:01 pm »
I've just weighed? my three using hm's method. 100 - 110 kil's each live, 66 - 70 dead weight. about what I would have guessed compared to last years porkers.

DavidnChris

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:52:54 pm »
I've just found this http://stonehead.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/weighing-pigs/
Ascot supplies sell them.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 10:57:14 pm »
That http://www.ascott-shop.com/ is a good site chris, and well worth a look.

I now have my breeding stock of tamworths coming to my call, and eating out of my hand (Don't worry i'm careful about my fingers!). It's amazing how much they like apples and bananas (one isn't a banana fan! That's your Ruby Gavin!). Such personable creatures, as my wife says we've now gone from a family of six to a family of nine!

Morgan :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 09:30:01 am »
Awww I love tamworths, just too much like racehorses for my advancing years.  The Gossies just plod after the bucket when being moved, the tammies used to grab the bucket and run with it, leaving me puffing behind.  ( I am rather vertically challenged .)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS