Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field beans as fodder  (Read 3827 times)

brimaston

• Joined Mar 2009
Field beans as fodder
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:18:16 pm »
Has anyone tried growing field beans (vicia vulgaris) as a protein source for their pigs?

Also I have access to reasonable amounts of wheat bran - is this a good bulk food?

Thanks for any input.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Field beans as fodder
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:22:57 am »
Sorry know nothing about field beans, however I am pretty sure bran is not good for pigs.  Use veggies to bulk out the feed, they will still need about  400 grammes per day protein in their diet.

MooMoo

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:23:32 pm »
Thanks for all the replys

Hilarysmum, I agree with you. The price of farine d'orge(rolled oats) out here is expensive and has cost me alot in the past. As I have grown mangolds, kale and the animal betrave in the past for my sheep, I just wanted to know, that as I am planting the afore mentioned plus beans, artichokes and turnips ( with a dollop of whey and a scattering of pignuts), will this be a sufficiant diet for my piggies.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:45:28 pm »
Sounds good to me, at the end of the day if they look good, come out at a good dead weight, then you are doing ok.

brimaston

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:32:17 pm »
Have found out a bit more about wheat bran. As the advertiser's say it 'improves digestive transit' - that is, it is a mild laxative and as such should only be fed as a supplement not as bulk. There is approx 15% protein and 26% carbs in bran so I will add it to my mix but in small amounts only.

Also, field beans are very good for the soil (nitrogen fixers) but once the beans are grown they have to be dried for four months and then cracked or ground, so I may look for my protein elsewhere.

JB

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS