Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potatoes V Frost?  (Read 2625 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Potatoes V Frost?
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:49:03 pm »
I have some potatoes that I planted a month or so ago which I thought would be ready for Christmas.  There is plenty of green foliage  which I have to say have not flowered but sufficient potatoes in a root to make it worth digging them up. 
However, we now have the frosts so I need to ask how long those potatoes in the ground will be safe to leave there?

deepinthewoods

Re: Potatoes V Frost?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:10:41 am »
i would cover them and keep them as warm as possible for as long as i could, until the haulms start to die, then id lift them.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:15:26 pm »
I have some potatoes that I planted a month or so ago which I thought would be ready for Christmas.  There is plenty of green foliage  which I have to say have not flowered but sufficient potatoes in a root to make it worth digging them up. 
However, we now have the frosts so I need to ask how long those potatoes in the ground will be safe to leave there?
Cover with a hoop and put shade cloth on it.  this will stop the frost from reaching the potaotes.  i did this last winter and my sweet potoates came through winter just fine.  short of that a layer of paper between the hoop and the cloth will also do.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:16:35 am »
I find that as long as you don't have too many slugs, just covering the plants with a layer of straw or something similar will keep the ground frost-free in all but the hardest frosts.  With frequent temps down to minus 18 or so last year, the top potatoes in our rows froze, but those deeper down were fine - without anything to protect them. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS