Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What winter veg in the polytunnel?  (Read 9276 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What winter veg in the polytunnel?
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:14:09 pm »
Well - we've finally got our polytunnel set up and I have planted the beds with green manure for now.

I am keen to start some seedlings for veg now - maybe plant them in the polytunnel to have over winter.

I have some pac choi seedlings which are doing well.

Any suggestions?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: What winter veg in the polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:21 am »
my pak choi always gets eaten so I've given up on that. Lettuce was good in the tunnel, will do that again.  :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:05:18 am »
Who/what eats it NFD?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:12:54 am »
slugs, I reckon....they find them as soon as they are planted out each time!

I will probably try potatoes in the tunnel in containers, maybe get some fresh ones for Christmas  ;) :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:27 am »
You could try a few overwintering broad beans, although they are still there when you want the space for other things in spring.  Also sugar snap peas apparently will overwinter.  Lettuce Winter Density will survive the winter and is ready a short while before spring sown crops, although it's not ready to eat during the winter. There is also a winter version of Little Gem now.  Salad leaves such as mizuna etc should keep going - they seem to be extremely hardy - I had some self seeded ones on a path outside which were poking up through the deep snow.
I will be trying seedling salads (micro salads) this winter, but probably in the house.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:32:24 am »
What about purslane?  I have never tried it but it does grow well all winter......and what's left in spring can be dug in as a green manure.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:28:09 pm »
Don't put potatoes in your polytunnel if you plan to grow tomatoes in there next summer because of blight crossover problems.
Last year planted 80 cabbage plants in our tunnel, next morning rabbits had been in and eaten the lot >:(, this year it has been rabbit proofed with mesh so fingers crossed, we've got cabbages(red & white) calabrese, swedes & tunrips to go in over winter, even if they don't grow much over winter they give us a head start in spring as days get longer & hopefully warmer, just have to remember to water them from time to time and let some air thro.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:39 pm »
I have Little Gem planted, cabbages, turnips, and carrots all to keep us going over the winter. Worked very well last winter. :farmer:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 11:46:50 am »
when did you sow the carrots and turnips, Sabrina? I wonder if there is still time... :&>

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:42 am »
Well - we've finally got our polytunnel set up and I have planted the beds with green manure for now.

I am keen to start some seedlings for veg now - maybe plant them in the polytunnel to have over winter.

I have some pac choi seedlings which are doing well.

Any suggestions?
beer for the slugs and snails.  icing sugar and plaster of paris for the snails.  air flow  for the fungal infections, clean soil for the plantings using soil solarisation outside the house and then shifting inside....  If the light intensidty is too bright some shade over the top of the polytunnel will prevent the pac choi from going to seed too early

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:05:54 pm »
When using P of P be aware that  if you have a slightly alkali soil the P of P could tip the balance  into making a condition called chlorosis which is the result of too much lime /chalk and make for a poorer crop over the years.  leaves look liker blight has hit them

You get the same problems if you frequently over manure using spent mushroom compost as it has quite a lot of lime in it to help break down the manure into useable foods for the plants.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 01:52:58 am »
When using P of P be aware that  if you have a slightly alkali soil the P of P could tip the balance  into making a condition called chlorosis which is the result of too much lime /chalk and make for a poorer crop over the years.  leaves look liker blight has hit them

You get the same problems if you frequently over manure using spent mushroom compost as it has quite a lot of lime in it to help break down the manure into useable foods for the plants.
You are only using P of P in small quantities...1 tablespoon or plaster of paris to 1 tablespoon of icing sugar, mix and put in a poly tube or small box and allow mice to run through having a feed on the way.  Does nothing to your soil unless you put it on in quantity.    Lime will send acid soil back to neutral  yes, but if the soil is alkaline ......yes it will send it further down....cause plants to have problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS