Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: series 1 landy wanted  (Read 6780 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
series 1 landy wanted
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:08:59 pm »
any condition location near telford prefered or up to 20 miles out may go further if in good condition and cheap

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: series 1 landy wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:52 pm »
I'm a bit late to this, but I don't think the words ' Landy ' ' Series 1 ' ' good condition ' and ' cheap ' are ever used in the same sentence.
A good, wheels up, fully rebuilt one will set you back £11k - £15k, a rough one will be about £3k - £4k. I sold a barn find 18 months ago which had matching numbers, buff logbook, all tax discs and a huge box of brand new spares but needed fully rebuilding for £1800.
Sorry if it's disappointed you - if you've got your heart set on a LR, look for a Series 3 which can be had with mot from about £400.
Land Rovers rock btw!  ;)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »
it was for my dad it dosnt have to run he wants to rebuild one

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:30 pm »
 :horse:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
I'm a bit late to this, but I don't think the words ' Landy ' ' Series 1 ' ' good condition ' and ' cheap ' are ever used in the same sentence.
A good, wheels up, fully rebuilt one will set you back £11k - £15k, a rough one will be about £3k - £4k. I sold a barn find 18 months ago which had matching numbers, buff logbook, all tax discs and a huge box of brand new spares but needed fully rebuilding for £1800.
Sorry if it's disappointed you - if you've got your heart set on a LR, look for a Series 3 which can be had with mot from about £400.
Land Rovers rock btw!  ;)

That's why we imported ours from NZ - a fraction of the cost and no salt corrosion  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
how my post ended up with a nags head i have no idea  must be gremlins at work :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:30 am »
it never ceases to amaze me what people ask for old landies and what value they put on them
any cheap one is riddled with rust and even when rebuilt they are not original
then your time the cost of genuine parts sourcing them    a great substitute for a meccano set  :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »
Landies have really gone up in price, all of them.

We bought a Y reg 110 TD5 about 4-5 years ago and it is worth the same today as it cost us then! Which is good, except it means we cant afford to replace it as the ones of the same age that was when we got it are now 3-4k more than what we paid!

So we are keeping her!

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:41:01 pm »
Landies have really gone up in price, all of them.

It's exactly why I didn't sell my Discovery when we moved up here, and why I dragged my semi restored Series 3 up with me. The Discovery is worth about £1200 tops, but I couldn't find one in the same condition for that money so we kept it ( and with all the recent weather it's been a good thing! ) lol  :D

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:44:43 pm »
I sold my Series One in 2009 for £2100, I had been asking £2500 and for months & could not get it. The vehicle was tested and well maintained with a full history back to 1982. (I spent the money with a bit more on a Massey Ferguson and what a pile of rubbish that turned out to be, cracked blocks, cracked blocks and cracked blocks, oh , & did I mention cracked blocks ? Along with everything else )
I would not pay much more than a £grand for a Series 3. The Land Rover Centre in Huddersfield fully refurbish these motors at great expense . £6 grand would buy one of theirs and they are like new.
Freelanders, don't go there. Scrappers for £250 all over the place.
People sell Land Rovers when they do not want to spend anymore money on them. You will always be buying work with an old Landy, but good ones are out there to be had and looked after they will serve you well, but do not look upon them as investments. Coil sprung Landys built between 1985 and some where in the mid 90's are made of good steel and aluminium. Sometime later they were cheapened and rust for fun. TDi 200 engines are great. TDi 300 rely on electrics and not as good. As they get more modern they become expensive to buy and run and loose their identity between a work horse and a Chelsea Tractor. The modern ones ( known affectionately as Trani' Lanis because they have a Ford Transit engine) do not have air flaps in the bulk head anymore but air conditioning fitted instead! No thank you, rather have the air flaps.  :&>
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:03 pm »
No thank you, rather have the air flaps.  :&>

For romance, yes. However, with the icy draughts coming through them this morning, the cabin heater was fighting a losing battle. Any good ideas on how best to seal them up for winter?   
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:14 pm »
Never had a problem with them passing cold air. I suggest spraying them up with WD40 and working them ?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

gmk

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »
landys are supposed to be cold windy, and wet mine always was

waterhouse

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:34:32 pm »
People sell Land Rovers when they do not want to spend anymore money on them.

Dead right

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS