Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Galway sheep - what's the opinion?  (Read 2956 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Galway sheep - what's the opinion?
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:42:03 am »
I don't have my smallholding yet so am a long way from getting any animals but investigating all possibilities.

At the Dorset show I was very taken by the Galway sheep.  Does anyone know anything about them and would they be suitable for a beginner?  I would only intend to have between 2 and 6 of whatever sheep I buy.

I am interested in spinning so their fleece is of consideration as well as their meat.

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: Galway sheep - what's the opinion?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:47:00 pm »
Hi Sally,
I was at the Dorset show with my Greyface Dartmoors and very often compete with the Galways in longwool classes. Did you buy a show catalogue? if you did all exhibitors are listed in the back. If not, PM me and I will pass on their details.  :sheep:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
Hi Hazelwood,
I did get a show catalogue and think its still around somewhere.  I also had a nice chat with one of the breeders who exhibited, from Tavistock in Devon. He gave me his business card but doesn't have a website.
I just wondered if any TAS people had experience of these sheep that might be helpful.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »
Never heard of them  :o

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
They hail from Ireland and are classed as rare breed longwools. They are a large sheep, but docile. My personal opinion of them is they have a lot of leg and wool!
At least you're sensible and researching sheep before getting them - good luck.  :wave:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS