Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Allstock feed for sheep  (Read 8123 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Allstock feed for sheep
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:57 pm »
 It's actually high magnesium that causes stones in the urethra of male sheep. It is important, therefore to ensure they always have a good supply of clean water, as this reduces the risk.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:38 pm »
its really good picking up these tips, I wold have had no idea about this one !     the 18% I feed is labelled ewe plus 18%

in fact here is the link   http://www.snackandtack.co.uk/farm-animals-c43/sheep-c93/attlee-ewe-nuts-p801

as its labelled ewe nuts hopefully ok for tups, it does say its a great general purpose feed.......  any comments?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:44 am »
 I've only ever once had a male sheep with a urinary stone and that was in a particularly fine Ryland ram lamb, about 6 months old, and he was on grass with a mineral lick available. He was in agony and we had to have him put down.   
 However, I normally keep the tup in with my ewes till after lambing and he therefore eats (in great quantities) all the good food and minerals that they get and with no ill effect.
 I therefore believe that there are some rams that are prone to stones, whatever you do, - just like humans. You can therefore only help reduce the risk by ensuring a good and clean water supply and I have since heard that giving cider viegar is helpful.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS