Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sow not standing  (Read 2414 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Sow not standing
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:53 pm »
We're fairly new at the AI game and I've got a quick question.

One of our sows showed her first signs of coming in to season yesterday (reddening and mucus discharge), so I phone deerpark to get some semen sent which duly arrived this morning. However, when we went out to see the sow this morning she was in no mood to stand for me. She just grunted and walked off. I tried a few times to apply pressure to her back but she just did the same thing. So we decided to try again in the evening. To cut a long story short, the same thing happened again this evening - she still won't stand.

Should I just relax about it and try again tomorrow? Anything else to try?

Thanks

Ben

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Sow not standing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
You probably tried too early. Tomorrow should be a better bet.
Tips? Hope you're ready for this! Before trying the back pressure test, try some foreplay first - use your hand to "nudge" her under the belly, just in front of the flanks, like the boar would. Also try tickling her vulva. She may lift her tail in response. Just make sure the neighbours aren't watching!
It would have been worth you getting some Boar Mate spray (an artificial pheremone which stinks like a boar), but will be too late this time. Give it a go and see what happens - and keep us posted. Good luck!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:40 am »
Thanks Tudful!

Not quite sure how to put this delicately, but your advice certainly hit the spot - much more successful this morning. Fortunately we're in the middle of nowhere so neighbours not a problem. One bottle down, two to go!

Re: boar spray, we AI'd in a little pen in the field next to where our boar weaners are. They are off to the butcher next week so hopefully their smell helps!

Ben

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:36 am »
Fabulous! Glad it went okay. I included a step by step guide with pictures in my Haynes Pig Manual, because it's a fiddly thing to get right if you're doing it alone for the first time.

I found that taking pictures of a friend going through the whole process really helped to jog my memory when I came to try it myself.

One thing I found a bit tricky was being a one man band - trying to sort out the sow and handle all the bits and pieces of kit at the same time. My husband refuses to get involved because he finds it all so distasteful, so I was there on my tod trying to "seduce" whilst trying to stop her knocking over my tool caddy, catheters, semen, scissors, lubricating gel, kitchen roll, etc etc. A spare pair of hands comes in really useful! With hindsight, a padded "saddle" would have helped, to simulate the weight on her back whilst inseminating. I've seen some for sale on US websites, but tried to improvise with two feed bags part-filled and tied together with baler twine!

Best of luck for around about February 4th!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »
I'm very fortunate in that my wife does the actual AI bit whilst I keep the sow quiet and pass her things. She was a doctor before going on maternity leave and thought her clinical experience meant she was best qualified for the job. Its tricky with two, I'd certainly not like to try it with only one pair of hands!

Ben

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS