Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home kill??  (Read 5918 times)

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
home kill??
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »
were not really near an abatoir ( i could go to bromsgrove but won't) so was looking into home kill for our own consumption, does any one know of any one who'll come do the deed? , south shrops/north west worcester?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: home kill??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »
To quote, more or less, our QMS course a couple of weeks ago, the only person who can legally kill an animal at home ie outwith a licenced slaughterhouse is the person who is going to consume it i.e. you.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »
Rosemary is right I'm afraid  :(
And once you've done it, only you and your household are allowed to eat it (no giving any to the next door neighbour or anyone else)
Plus you've got to go through the de-bristleing process, and have a way of disposing of the innards (can't bin them and I don't think you're allowed to burn them)
I'm not in your area so can't advise on alternative slaughterhouses, but there is a thread on here somewhere - I'll see if I can find it  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:
Edit: Here's the thread http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=12074.msg117406#msg117406
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:42:14 pm by HappyHippy »

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:43 pm »
bistles aren't a problem neither are guts, theres the hunt kennels down the road and last time we done them about 6 years ago with straw and steam (we've a traction engine so i put a pipe on it and that softened them enough to scrape off)
there used to be a local butcher offered a home kill service but he's since retired. and moved on.
it is for ourselves and inlaws use so no back door selling. i have a rifel (and deer controll licence) but to be honest would rather some one who knows what theyre doing does it as a pigs skull is thick and a rifel can rickochet off. a humane bolt gun / killer would be best job, but again we don't have one and i immagine its not the thing you borrow!

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:50:38 pm »
a 22 bullet can bounce off the head  some times better with a shot gun at virtually point blank
pigs can have double skulls hence the bouncing :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »
it is for ourselves and inlaws use so no back door selling. i have a rifel (and deer controll licence) but to be honest would rather some one who knows what theyre doing does it as a pigs skull is thick and a rifel can rickochet off. a humane bolt gun / killer would be best job, but again we don't have one and i immagine its not the thing you borrow!
No, I wouldn't imagine many folks have one lying around  :D
You might find someone, somewhere who'll do it, but to the best of my knowledge they can get into quite a bit of bother (lose their license) if caught.
Is it the reputation of the abattoir that's putting you off ?
Karen

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:17:20 am »
Bolt gun is not good enough for pigs
You do risk your firearms licence if you use that, as you're only allowed to use it for specified puposes, and presume you haven't got pigs on your ticket!  As Robert says, you need to get the right angle, pigs need some knowledge.
Humane Slaughter Association is happy with shotgun, no. 6 shot is fine.

The Food Standards Agency guidance on homekill is at the following link

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/livestockguidance/

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:55 am »
I did my own a couple of weeks ago now, Captive bolt two inches above the eyeline ,central . I lured her into a borrowed pig weighing scale with a bucket of nuts, then gave her a bath first to get her nice and clean while she was in the crate. pay particular attention to the legs and feet and underside , she must be nice and relaxed and eating nuts when you drop her so totally unaware of what's happening
You must have every thing prepared first , I spent a lot of time gathering all the kit together that was needed, things like planning where to do it,  and rigging up the electric winch in the right position , having your very sharp knifes handy  and a new clean large plastic trug for the blood if you plan to make your own black pudding, you will of coarse pre-cook the pearl barley and soak the oatmeal overnight and have you spices and backfat ready prepared with a big pan of water simmering standing by
The whole thing must be planned like a military operation. After the stun you must work quickly ,and remember you could have a hundred killo of pig on your hands so the winch is essential, winch her out of the crate and bleed her while the heart is still beating to pump the blood out, this is what kills her, the stun just does what it says on the tin. Be careful not to pierce the intestine when you first open her up or you will have a mess on your hands, also be carefull not to break the gaul bladder when removing the liver.
After gutting and shaving you can cover the carcase with an old duvet cover and let it hang for a few days to set the flesh and make butchering easier.
Good luck
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:00:42 am by tizaala »

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »
No, I wouldn't imagine many folks have one lying around  :D
You might find someone, somewhere who'll do it, but to the best of my knowledge they can get into quite a bit of bother (lose their license) if caught.
Is it the reputation of the abattoir that's putting you off ?
Karen

thanks for the usefulll replies, the nearest abattoir is in bromsgrove and even our local butcher slates him, i shan't go into that now, next nearest is probably lentwardine, who i've heard good things about, but well over an hour away, i may speak to a local haulier see if he can work something out. but was consious that the most stressfull bit was the transport angle, if there was a sort of home kill service for own consumption i'd have used it with open arms. interesting so see how others do it though.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:07:47 am »
windymiller,
I use Leintwardine abattoir and they are excellent well worth the travel. Very good with the animals and as stress free as possible certainly worth considering. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:40:14 am »
TBH, I don't think the travelling stresses them that much if it's done carefully. We put plenty of straw in the trailer and on the ramp and they are happy to follow a bucket in. I throw a few nuts in the straw, so they rootle for a bit then lie down and go to sleep during the journey. We don't go fast and try to give them as comfy a journey as possible.

I admire tizaala for what he's done but it sure wouldn't be for me.  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:09:36 pm »
do pigs get travel stress i dought it we have moved pigs between 400 and 600 miles and neither up or down some get travel sick :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS