Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coop ordered - the excitement mounts!  (Read 2242 times)

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
Coop ordered - the excitement mounts!
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:29 am »
Whoo Hoo!

We ordered (after weeks of deliberation) our chicken coop today. Also got wire fencing and timber to make a run to attach to the coop.

Just need to get the feeders, feed then the birds!

Dull I know - but no one else would understand!!!  ;D
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Coop ordered - the excitement mounts!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:06 am »
not dull at all. even now i get very excited about getting new birds, hatching chicks and even collecting eggs. Fresh eggs for breakfast is such a pleasure. ;D :chook:

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:37 am »
We just worked out the total cost of the coop, run, 10 birds, feed, etc and we will break even after 1800 eggs!  :o

I don't know about it not be easy to be green, I find it pretty easy but bloody expensive!!

Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:24:33 am »
True, I started with a few hens for my own eggs. Have since got the addiction to hens and now have to have more, to sell enough eggs to start paying back the costs. Now branching out into meatier birds for the table, which will probley turn out to be the most expensive chicken dinners ever. Have previously only eaten excess cockerels which i classed as free but had really cost a bit to  Hatch, feed and house. Trying get a good utillity cross with a meaty one. Be careful what you start as it leads to much involvement and cost.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:16 am »
Be careful what you start as it leads to much involvement and cost.
Posted on: Today at 08:55:37 AMPosted by: Rhyan & Melissa 

How true. Over 2 years ago I bought my forst 2 Pygmy Goats. I did my homework and read all the books before Wallace and Simpson arrived. Many of the books and people I spoke with said that Pygmies became so addictive - your herd always grew! Well, today I have 7 Pygmy Goats and 2 old Dairy goats that I rescued 6 months ago. They are indeed addictive and I am now desperately awaiting the birth of 2 Toggenburs(all going well) which will take my herd upto 11!!!!!!! They are all kept as pets and bring great pleasure to us and our customers at the hotel.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:45:34 am by jameslindsay »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS