Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RED MITE !!!  (Read 2853 times)

cheekychick

• Joined Mar 2009
RED MITE !!!
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:40:06 pm »
 :chook:Its getting towards that time of the year and this is how we deal with red mite, we've kept chickens for years and this really works.
1. Prevention is better than cure.
2. Buy yourself some DIATOMACEOUS EARTH and put some in an old talc pot.
3. Clean your hen house out really thoroughly ( with a hoover if necessary )
4. Sprinkle powder liberally on perches, perch housing, end grain, in nest box and any nook or cranny close to your hens when they are perching.
5. Put in your normal bedding, shavings is good.
6. Use a bit more powder every time you clean.
7. Check for mite regularly ( I check every other day )
8. If you find a couple, they won't feel very well, but squash them anyway and clean out every 3 days to break the breeding cycle.
9. SORTED !!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: RED MITE !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:09:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Where do I get the earth stuff? I've got a tub of red mite powder. Is the earth better?

cheekychick

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: RED MITE !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:04 pm »
 :chook: We get ours from www.solwayfeeders.com in 400grm tubs, the postage is the same for up to 3 tubs I think or at least 2 so don't order just one, share it with a friend. If you get a bad infestation you can make a solution from it and spray it over the entire inside of your house on a sunny day and leave is to dry. It kills the mite by desiccating their bodies. Harmless to your hens and you !! Alot of the mite powders say " deter" or  "prevent" Diatom says "kill"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:51:52 pm by cheekychick »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS