Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One female in season .......  (Read 8735 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
One female in season .......
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »
It is usually late September before we see any signs here.  Unfortunately, the first to start calling is not one we want to breed from yet!!  Little Lily the pygmy x sanaan.  She is very loud at the best of times (being Bobbys daughter, thats not surprising).  So, the noise is ear spltting.  She is wasting her time though, at only 6 months old

Should not be long now until the other 5 females start ....hopefully not all shouting at once though!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: One female in season .......
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:09:37 am »
Still quiet round here but I expect we'll have the yelling for a maaaaaaaan before long. ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:14:07 am »
Only 1....? We've had five in today. It's been chaos. Four of the milkers have been in season today, but only two of those four are getting put in kid, plus there was one kid in season yesterday, and a different one today.

The boys are up to high do........

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:01:14 am »
Have only 3 Saanens to go now.... start kidding 22 January.... does this mean  winter will be early and then we will have a decent Spring ?

I think animals are much more accurate with the long range forecast.... that is until this lot get it horribly wrong !!!

Taking bookings now for kids 2012 !!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:51:35 am »
Mine haven't started yet, though Ellie's milk yield dropped remarkably yesterday and isn't back to normal today -  no yelling or tail flicking though, so maybe a 'practice'

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
I bought a Pygmy Billy for my girls last Wednesday - so it been chaos here - what a bunch of slappers - lined up along the dividing fence showing off the goods - it's calmed down a bit and hopefully we'll get into a new routine
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:12 am »
3 down and 3 to go  ;D   First kidding due 5th Jan,   so first ones will be done and dusted before lambing starts in mid feb  8)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »
My two haven't started yet and  was starting to worry but these posts have put my mind at rest, will just have to wait for nature, not too worried as happy to kid slightly later in the spring, fingers crossed  :love:
So many ideas, not enough hours

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:06:03 pm »
3 down and 3 to go  ;D   First kidding due 5th Jan,   so first ones will be done and dusted before lambing starts in mid feb  8)

Oooh- has Spring been done yet? Her sister was done this week, and also her half sister goatling was done yesterday as well. Was looking at a picture of her just the other day and wondering how she was doing.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:28:57 pm »
Boiling hot today, girls lay out on the hay trailer sunbathing ......certainly no interest in boys.  Not going to get any in kid yet, still far too early for us.  We had a pygmy kid in December two years ago - -19 it was, coldest day for many years.  I was so worried about the kid, but no need.  Early March is a favourite time for the other pygmy to kid.

I do not want to be running out to a goat house in a blizzard to check on a female  in the middle of the night - so mid April onwards is about right for kidding.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:51 pm »
My 2 British Saanen's have not shown any signs of heat yet. Should I be concerned?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
No sign from my Toggs either, I'm praying I'll get results of CAE test before they start, if I don't, I'll miss a lovely billy who goes back to his owner soon. Last year first season was Oct 27th, both nearly caught me out, came back in season 2 days early, 14/15 November, ideal for April kidding.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »
Nothing going on here either but as I don't actually have a billy lined up, it gives me a few more weeks of searching for one that isn't 300 miles away  :-\

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:28:24 am »
blimey Skirza
just looked at where you are (I love looking at where people live), there can't be many up there, any mountain goats wandering about?

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 01:16:45 pm »
LOL...saw some the other day funnily enough, but they were down the road about 80 miles...still.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS