Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Got our new goats  (Read 6434 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
Re: Got our new goats
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »
Well had no reply from the BGS to my e-mail, which is disappointing.

But on a much better note, after much lugging of fence posts, fencing, sheds, metal roofing, sundry bits of wood and hammering (not always on my hand), drilling and screwing, the fence is up, the shelter built and the milking shed erected. Poly and Niccy make their move "home" tomorrow ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »
Yes your goats are too old to be registered in the Herd Book, but I think they could go into the Identifcation register, then if they are mated to a registered bily their offspring would be in the supplementary register (SR number). Not sure what happens after that.

If you are serious about possibly breeding up to registered stock, then registration even in in IR would be adavantageous.

But most important: Enjoy your goats.

The BGS email address is  think secretary@allgoats.org.uk or .com I am not sure. It will be on the website. If not phone them up. you have to be a BGS member to register goats in any category (or for GG's  a member of the GGG society.)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »
Only the breeder can register goats in the herd book, and only until they are 2 years old. After that it's only the identification register, and that would be a long route t BG's - but best to discuss with the BGS.

It is a shame that sometimes breeders for whatever reason do not register their goats, yes there is an initial financial outlay (but it is not much), however in the longterm it really increases the value of any goat (and that of her offspring!)

Have fun with your girls (and with the milk that they produce).

We are in a similar position, aquired a goat a little while ago, pure bred Togg, not registered, though we know the breeding. BGS says it may be possible with a letter from the breeder, and the original (previous) owner of sire and dam can confirm breeding. They checked to comfirm my information re the breeder and I was correct. It WILL cost but may be done. we've decided to try and get the breeder to write the letter and hope BGS committee will accept the 2 testimonials and give my girl her rightful place.
It is an unusual step for the BGS to take, and we are going to have to jump through quite a few hoops, but as Toggs are quite rare every one counts.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »
We can do that - John the Goat Man is the owner of the sire of at least one of them and knows the owner of the dams. We are just hoping to take a stage out of getting them to breed British Guernsey's.

How did you contact the BGS penninehillbilly ?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:51:54 pm »
I originally contacted them via email, but be aware, it could cost more than the goat is worth, letters may not be enough, and a committee will have to decide whether to allow it, and the main thing -
Toggenburgs are a 'closed book' ie only Toggs who can be proved to have lines going back to the original imports can be entered, as opposed to British Toggenburgs, who can be bred up.
And you may have to be a member of the BGS.
The only reason I am trying is because so few are registered, I'm doing it for the breed rather than just wanting paperwork for her. Only 33 female kids were registered in the whole country last year, and 9 males, many who probably won't come up to scratch as they mature. So we are just hoping they may make an exception to widen the gene pool slightly.
She's just been to a very good male, so here's hoping it will all come together in time.
Originally I wasn't bothered what goats I got, I just needed goats again, didn't expect these high ranking aristocrats ??? but I love them. that's the main thing,  love them for what they are, friendly, intelligent, entertaining, sometimes downright naughty, with that wicked look in their eyes that says they know they can get away with it ;D
google british goat society - there will be an email on there, but it may be a long, expensive battle.
(I think Polly is gorgeous - any more pics of her?)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS