Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One female in season .......  (Read 8750 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: One female in season .......
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:35 pm »
up there 80 miles IS just down the road isn't it?
Got a 'billy rag' last night, waved it at the girls, and (by coincidence?) this morning bleating and wagging tails for England (or UK?), took them to billy boy this afternoon, they didn't want to know, nothing like making a fool of their 'mum', Left them there, they jumped out of their pen, owner of billy decided to let the billy boy out, mated each 3 times before nightfall. As I said, nothin like making a fool of their mum!  ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:58 am »
OMG ....the small white youngster, Lily is at it again .....ten times worse this season.  I am adamant the smaller ones are the noisiest, and most determined to reach the billy.  I kept her in her house to make sure there were no "accidents" with the billy, as she is only 8 months old.  What did she do - squeeze through the gate pen,  up one paddock, through another, and under the fence to the enclosure where Elliot one of our smaller males lives.  He must have thought all his christmases had come at once!  Thankfully  I heard  that familiar billy noise when they have a female in their sights, and rushed down the field before damage was done.  It was not easy getting Lily out, as she did not want to come out and leave her new man......little madam!!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 10:55:52 am »
Our Toggenberg, Flash, has come into season today, I think. She's making lots of bleating noises and roaming her paddock, peering over fences and calling.

Our other goat, Bella, is a Saanen and she's just being her normal quiet self.

We've no billy to breed them from but at least I can note the dates down for later.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »
I would offer you the services of our handsome AN billy - but from your profile see you are not exactly local to us ;D

Our big white Sanaan x B Alpine girl is in season today.

So that just leaves the two AN ladies ......hopefully next season the three larger goats will have been covered.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 07:01:48 pm »

Thanks for the offer, Roxy, but yes , we're not really local to anywhere.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 10:15:19 pm »
All of ours seem to have held amazingly enough. All 5 are due in February. It makes my decision regarding Evita easier- I was thinking of kidding her but waiting until April or so as she didn't kid til May this year. But as everyone else is due in February, I'll just let her run through. Will be lovely to have them all kidding in short period- haven't had that for ages.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
If all goes well, the two AN'S and the Sanaan will all kid pretty close together, and the kids can  be company for each other - and I will be bottle feeding all at the same time of course.  Deliberately waiting, as we do not want kids before April.  Got two smaller females to put to either Bobby or Elliot, and one pygmy x already in kid. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS