Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: yeh , just got 2 new goats  (Read 9428 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: yeh , just got 2 new goats
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »
Mine, even though very tame, spend a lot of time on the window ledges of the byre too - they jump up and down happily and don't hurt themselves.

Yours seem to feel safe there - let them be. You'll really scare them if you try to chase them down  :o They'll come down when they feel happier - keep on with the calm, not looking at them approach  :-*

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 03:24:37 pm »
thank you for that i was worried and i didnt want to scare or hurt them at all , ive had the sheep camping out side and the ponys wondering why there stables are now closed to them its been funny watching these two groups hanging around out side the doors its as if they are looking through the gabs to see whats in side   ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »
For future reference, mine also spend a lot of time on top of the drystone walls, on top of their field shelter (about 8th off the floor!) etc. I suppose goats do have mountain ancestry  :D

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »
lol well i was making some headway today until this eveing feed time round when the young pony decied he wanted to meet the newcomers and scared them by opening the big barn doors and sticking his head around think he was realy looking for food but he is on a grass only diet at the mo dont think the goats where happy seeing this big monster appear  ::)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 01:52:53 am »
if you have time why not sit in there and read a book, (on goats of course ;D) if curiosity doesn't bring them down at least they would be getting used to you being around.
I once read that if you breathed into their nose they wouldbe more friendly, I'm sure it worked with mine, (that's when you get near enough) they'll want to sniff you anyway  :)
I love being with my girls (2 'rescues'), they always want to know what I'm doing! I only got them last year, they were very wary of me so when I let them out I kept long ropes on them for a while, they can now wander round loose, with an electric fence on the inside of the sheep fence.
mine love treats of small pieces of wholemeal bread, apple pieces, bananas, and after being told to, I give them the banana skins - they love them!
do you feed goat mix with molasses in, mine go crazy when I get a new bag and they can smell the molasses  :yum:
a little time and patience and you'll have lots of pleasure with your new friends :)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 08:22:33 am »
i try to spend some time in with them depending on whats on my schedula and if ive had to chase some pigs back in there field , mornings are better for me so i try to spend an hour with them before getting my indoor jobs done but then like yesterday i got a lunch time check in and spent some time then as well , im not sure on the feed just that its for goats ive got to buy them a lick today so im hoping my feed store will help me on chosing one im of to the the fruit and veg wholesales to day to see what goodies i can get the animals today , they didnt eat there goodies or there morning feed yesterday so im hoping they had eaten over the night im hoping to get them used to me enough so when my grandaughter comes for a visit in 2 weeks she can go in and see them  ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:16 am »
Hi there
how are the newcomers?

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:00 am »
they are still going to there ledge when ever i go in to there stable but are eating now which is one worry of my mind , last night on there eveing feed they did come forward a little step but still on there ledge , unlucky i had to spend more time getting pigs back in to there area then so lost some of my time for them , i am leaving them bannans and apples when i go in  :)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 11:06:41 am »
i was feeling so happy in with the goats this morning rosey was was walking towards me (ok she was on a ledge and not the floor ) but i didnt care it was postive steps until the posty decided to make the dogs bark and the post wernt even for me well that was it rosey is now back in her corner with her back to me , i will let her calm down again and see how they are at lunch time ,dim well what can i say he looks to his sister for direction if she comes forward he thinks about it well im sure i will get there i have to refrain from feeding them first or the others will never get feed and as pigs keep getting out thats not a good idea lol :-\

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 11:42:44 am »
I wonder if a radio left playing may get them used to noises? quietly and not headbanging stuff of course ;D, also don't forget to talk to them before you go in, I always start talking to mine as I approach their shed.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 11:52:17 am »
think it was the dogs barking as the pup stays out side the barn when i go in and im always taliking kids think ive lost the plot as im walking around talking to all the animals even the hens and ducks got told last night by my boy didnt i now they cant answer me so why was i asking if they had a good day he thinks i need to see a doctor lol cheecky little git he is , i was inside talking to them well rosey as she seems to listen to me well she turns her head to one side , when posty turned up and all 3 dogs went mad it must of scared the living daylights out of them , and he did say couldnt i keep better control of them , they where in the yard behind a gate not my fault he was going try coming in with a mastif lose barking her head , ive been back into them and they where down as i aproched the shed i stoped to great the ponys and could see the goats jump back on to there ledge so went in for a chat they had eaten there morning feed so left some more apples they dont seem to like banans

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 02:08:48 pm »
I wonder if it has been the dogs which are making them shy all along?  Goats can be very scared of dogs if they are not used to them, and of new dogs even if they are used to their "own" dogs. 

I had had my goats for a few months when some friends visited with some lurchers - took me 24 hours and many miles of walking to find the goats after they'd legged it! And then I had to catch them - managed to catch the kid by luck - which meant it's Mum stayed with me and her sister stayed because the other two did  :)  Had to sit in a field hugging the kid for about 20 mins before OH could get to me with a vehicle to take them home!

Sorry - I digressed - maybe they smell dogs on you which scares them, or if the dogs follow you around - just being outside the barn door may be too close for them yet.  Are you feeding them some concentrate as well as the fruit and veggies?  Something with molasses in is my lots favourite. Good luck.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 03:38:31 pm »
normaly i only have the pup and he sits out side of the barn , yeh they have come from a home with collies , i feed them a goat mix and hay and goodies the only thing ive got here that they have never seen is the ponys and they are a bit miffed that they cant go into there stables as ive taken one for the goats so quite often stand out side of them looking sad oh and im going to try some rich tea biccies today as where they come from give them to there goats so i will let you all know how i get on , if its the smell of dogs on me how am i going to solve that one as one of the dogs sleeps in my room and ive always got one dog with me at all times albe it maybe laying down watching or behind doors like the pup when i do my rounds of the animals  ???

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 10:11:11 pm »
Goats are designed to jump on and of things.  Unless it is very very high I wouldn't worry about it.  :goat:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »
 im always taliking kids think ive lost the plot as im walking around talking to all the animals even the hens and ducks got told last night by my boy didnt i now they cant answer me so why was i asking if they had a good day he thinks i need to see a doctor lol
I reckon the doctors wouldbe kept fairly busy if all us 'normal' people (who talk to our 'friends') had to go and see them LOL.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS