Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: yeh , just got 2 new goats  (Read 9465 times)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
yeh , just got 2 new goats
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:00:50 pm »
after some weeks planning and learning from the owners of the goats on how to look after and care for them ive finaly got my goats home they are safe and sound in the stables which will be there new home  :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: yeh , just got 2 new goats
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:41 pm »
congratulations on your new additions!
what breed are they?  names?  ages?

(how nosey! I just love goats!)
:D  :goat:
Little Blue

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »
ive got brother and sister he has had the chop, there 6 months old think they said british sarrns but could be wrong ones got horns and one ant , ive called them rosey and jim(dim) as all males are a little most of the time :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
Excellent  ;D I love my goats and I'm sure you'll love yours and find them endless entertainment  ;D

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »
yeh ive been round to see them every day , just so glad ive got them here it saves on fuel lol now time to get them friendly as they are very scared and dont come near at all ;D

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:28:32 pm »
Congratulation, hope they bring you much fun :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:23:12 pm »
If they are still quite shy it may be best to just make them come to you quite slowly, and I would keep them in a shed for a few days until they know that that is their new home. If they have come from a bigger herd they are probably a bit lost without their mates.

If they are outside during the day I would just have a bowl of nice veggies, cut into small sticks (carrots, courgette, bananas + their skins, apples or similar )and sit near the bowl - they will be nosey and then you can move the bowl nearer to you. When they are inside going in and offering titbits from your hands will also make them less shy in no time at all. If they are kids they will soon bond with you - but watch they may turn into sometimes challenging goatlings by next spring!

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:39:57 pm »
i was adviced to keep them in doors for awhile , went in to feed them and check them this morning and they tryed jumping over the stable walls which are as high as me so bout 5'4 in height , i was going to ask how i go about getting them friendly but i dont want to scare them to death, they had been running with other goats but the other goats are friendly and come up for fuss but these two didnt , also i did ask them where i got them from was the girl (rosey) safe as she was running with one of there billys , i will get them friendly even if it kills me  ???

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »
well just gone and checked my new goats and to top up there water noticed they havent eaten anything and they are on a ledge in the stable when i go in they try to jump out from this ledge , the stable is in a barn with big doors so they cant get out even if they manged to jumb out of there stable i stayed with them for a little while talking to them quitly so not to scare them too much and have baned the kids from going in there  :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »
When I get wild/scared animals, I just go in with them and sit quietly. Don't look at them (we have predator's forward facing eyes, very scary for prey animals). Move extremely slowly. Put some 'goodies' out, (I use sultanas) initially neither near you nor near them. They'll find them eventually. Hopefully associate you with the goodies.

Even when they come to you, don't look at them. Let them sniff you and don't try to pet them. Just talk very quietly in a low voice. Eventually let them sniff your hand. Best place to pet, once they're totally comfortable coming up to you and hanging around you, is their chest between their front legs. They like it to be scritched and it's a non-threatening move, unlike a hand near the head.

It can take a while but it's one of the best things, when a scared animal comes to trust you  :)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »
thank you i will try that tomorrow , i left them some carrots this evening when i did my rounds they hadnt eaten or drunk all day , but they did drink over the night so im hoping they will drink tonight and eat something ,they didnt try and get out this eveing but where still on there ledge which makes them higher then me they just stood up there watching me check there water and food and leave them some nice carrots , the kids are a little miffed they cant go see the new goats but they never shut doors and i dont want these two lose might lose them

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15:03 am »
Sounds like you're doing all the right things.  I found just sitting in with mine and acting as if I was ignoring them was effective.  Mine are Sanaans.  It's a lovely placid breed.
Incidentally, I was told that kids like a bench to sleep on so I made on.  My current kid likes to stand on in but prefers to sleep under the bucket holders.
Enjoy your goats.  :)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:34:50 am »
think im getting somewhere today they are still on there shelf but have come down i think to eat but there are signs that at least one of them walked along the edge of the stables to upove there feed and water so maybe they are eating from there lol well this morning i went in and sat on the floor for a little while they still didnt come down but just stood and watched me i left them some nice goodies on the floor when i left but no jumbing or trying to get away which to me is getting somewhere at this rate i might have them come to me by xmas lol

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 02:15:09 pm »
How exciting.  If you ever get the chance a pic would be lovely.  :)  I have two rescue British Saanens.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »
thinki might scare them at mo with my very pink camrea , my daughter has been on at me to add pics on fb for my grandaughter to see , i cant seem to add pics on here it says they to big as i tried with my puppy , i checked my goats this afternoon and they are still on there ledge , where i got them from said to try and get them down as they might hurt them selfs now im unsure as what to do bout it as they seem happy up there  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS