Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I an addict?  (Read 3067 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Am I an addict?
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:00 pm »
I had a fall today (and no I wasn't drunk) and hurt myself rather badly.  This evening, as the pain in my chest was gettign worse, I went to A&E where I had to have an xray for a suspected collapsed lung.

All I could think of was, "How will I manage to milk the girls?"  Is this an addiction to goats?  Is there a cure?

Fortunately, there are no broken bones and my lungs are intact so just bad bruising which is still to come out.

With the help of my lovely OH, who is definitely not a goataholic, I managed the milking.  He fetched the first girl and put the other two back in the yard (twice), lowered me onto the milking bench (no easy task) then hauled me off again (an even harder task).  Then repeated the process with girl number two.  What makes the process harder is that he is totally blind and they know this so take advantage.  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Am I an addict?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:54:45 am »
Bless him.  What a blessing he is! 

Hope you recover soon, thank goodness it was just bruising.

I think the signs are there that you have an addiction ...  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:55:13 am »
he sounds amazing!! hope you start to feel better very soon.
I sprained my foot a few weeks back and hubby wouldn't know where to start with the goats and my 4 girls are too little so I had to crawl up the hill on all 4's dragging a bucket with me while 9 year old carried the feed buckets!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:33 am »
Goodness, what a star your OH is!!  Do hope you are feeling better soon.  Having had two bad falls (involving my animals) lately, I know how stiff and bruised it leaves you.  Arnica tablets and the gel helped me, worth a try.

I, too, worry about what will happen if I am really ill and cannot milk the goats etc.  Fortunately, I have always managed to drag myself to feed the animals even when ill up to now.  I remember once after lots of tests, the doctor saying I may need to go in hosptal - I  looked at him in horror - it was mid winter and lots of animals to see to ......and I said "no way!"!! 

My OH can feed the animals, but he does not milk, so goodness knows what I would do, as there are no other goat keepers nearby ....although one of the older farmers who can hand milk would do in an emergency (if he is still able to lower himself to milk a goat that is!!)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:03:44 pm »
No you are not an addict - simply someone who keeps livestock. I think everyone with animals would have the same reaction.

We solved the problem by buying a milking machine (my OH does not do handmilking, but is happy to use technology... and can feed etc in an emergency), which I know is not an option for everybody, and with a knee operation for me earlier this summer it was a godsend. Even though in the end I only missed one milking, I dragged myself down on crutches the morning after the op and insisted on stripping out...

But really you should have an emergency list with your feeding regime (goats identifyabe by their collar or something easily distuingishable for the non-goatkeeping helper), who is in what pen etc ready, so in an emergency a neighbour or someone can just look after them for a day or two... I am training up my daughters on the milking machine and also stripping out.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »
It's something I don't let myself think about, even tho I know I should, I just presume if anything did happen OH would find someone who could help out (we do know farmers & animal keepers, but milkers are a different thing). I'm 100% positive he wuld find somebody, whether I would want others touching my girls is another matter!  :)
A list is a good idea, already thinking what to put on it + phone numbers of knowledgeable people locally.
As HE holds the kids (goat!) at arms length in case they eat him there's not much hope there! ;D.  I think he could put hay and water in but that would be his limit.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:19:47 pm »
SallyintNorth I think you're right - I'm an addict.   ;D  Anke I do have friends who will milk for me but at 10.30 at night, I didn't like to ring anyone.  Penninehillbilly, you do need to have someone trained up if only so you can go away occasionally.

To those who think my OH is a star, you're absolutely right.  He never wanted goats in the first place but the person I was originally sharing with (and who had them in her garden)  decided, after a couple of months, that she didn't want to keep goats after all.  I was so upset, having wanted a goat for years and years, that OH said I could have one but one only.  That one had a daughter, who then had a son.  Suddenly there is a mini-herd.  :goat: :goat: :goat:  :thumbsup: 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:04 am »
Suddenly there is a mini-herd.  :goat: :goat: :goat:  :thumbsup: 

I know the feeling.... started with two a couple of years back, now have 4 milkers, one goatling and two kids... and three will be put into kid this autumn. My OH has already built me an extension to the original goathouse....

But I hope you get better soon.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 02:02:40 am »
Penninehillbilly, you do need to have someone trained up if only so you can go away occasionally.

a, I havent been away since 2003, and don't really want to, (b) talked to someone today who can milk, (sheep) she was so obvious I hadn't thought of her. ::)
But this post has made me think, anything can happen, it's obviously best to have SOME sort of plan
hope your'e managing and feeling better, some years ago I slipped off a stool I was balancing on and landed, ribs meeting edge of workbench, thought I was dying as I staggered home (about 200yds). mum eventually took me to A&E but like you it was 'just' bruised, so I do know how you feel.
(as I was putting a lit candle on a high shelf at the time I'm lucky I didn't burn us all down-lesson learned)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:33:25 am by penninehillbilly »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:06:46 pm »
Its made me think too. I definately need to pin up each goats feed pattern in the feed barn in case of something happening. I have a brilliant friend who milks my goat when we go away and I also know my 9 year old can do it in an emergency (she has done so before) but knowing how much of what to feed is important too  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS