Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My rhubarb is alive !!!!!  (Read 8819 times)

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: My rhubarb is alive !!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
My rhubarb grows in the most horrible clay soil, and all I ever do is throw a bit of wood ash on it in spring when I go round the fruit bushes.
It's looking good at the moment.
We had a quite a hard frost last night (in Lincolnshire) - the chicken's water was frozen over and the pond - complete with lots of frog spawn, had a layer of ice. It's cold again tonight - don't hold out much hope for the frog spawn!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 10:04:18 pm »
Thanks for the tip with the wood ash. Has anyone tried soot for fruit bushes and rhubarb like they did in the Victorian farm for roses? I wonder if it's any good around food? I'm hesitating there...
We had the toads out last week, all toad spawn was for nothing here as well, frozen water bowls here too! :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 06:07:21 pm »
Most of the plants are looking lovely now, that suffering one might just be at the end of it's life span or it has rot (have to ask who may have cut it instead of pulling it last year!!!). Will look after the season ends end replace by a split root. :&>

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 09:03:57 pm »
I noticed today that some of my crowns have stalks ready for pulling ...on un-forced plants. Seems very early to me. Rhubarb crumble tomorrow! :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS