Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My rhubarb is alive !!!!!  (Read 8823 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
My rhubarb is alive !!!!!
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:16:22 pm »
The fabled  Rhubarb is alive !!!!!!
yippy

Just went to empty the soil out and I found it fully completely budded and forming in the pot, So i have told hubby his next job is to make a bed in front of the compost bins for the rhubarb to go in to.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: My rhubarb is alive !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:53 pm »
i'd noticed it popping it's head through a few days ago, i've now got shoots and leaves out - it's rocketing through

i'm delighted as i planted it last year and refused to touch it (as you are meant to) for the 1st year. but this year it'll be getting scoffed!!!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:49:30 pm by sellickbhoy »

sandy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
I am envious...Rhubarb crumble......we LOVE rhubarb and bought 4 plants last year and they ALL died. not sure where to plant any in our garden as it is full of bulbs, plants or chickens!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »
Ours is sprouting - will split it this weekend, Annie!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:39:09 pm »
I was JUST going to ask! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:45:10 am »
I split our huge bit of rhubarb last weekend, and replanted it in 3 bits. It was right in the middle of the veggie patch, which was a bit of a silly place for it. I'd like to pick from it this year though, because the other 2 patches of rhubarb we have aren't as nice tasting....

Beth

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:46:10 pm »
i covered mine in well rotted horse muck in janaury, and put big plant pots over them( with little holes in the bottom) . They are now quite well sprouted like the forced stuf in the shops. rhubarb crumble this weekend, yummy. i think it is the best it has been sincr split last year.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 01:23:23 pm »
We've still got last years in the freezer - with good management we should be never be rhubarb-less!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »
more than can be said for mine, nothing, zilch, kaput , zero, ah well never mind, another glass of falling over water and I wont care!
juliag

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 07:50:50 pm »
Pity you are so far away from us Sandy - we've got far too much rhubarb - and I hate not being able to use it all over the season.
We still have several bags of gooseberries in the freezer - a lovely reminder of summer .... mmmm....crumble!!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 09:49:16 pm »
Hi linz mine is now up too!!!!!!!!!!!!! yipee
juliag

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 05:19:41 pm »
Mine's not looking so good now. The leaves seem quite leathery and it's growing unusually slow - maybe it's the night frosts (yes, still!) drying the plants up too much. I gave the plants some late mulch and lots of water. I hope this helps as I was so looking forward to it! How long do you all keep the same plants that they are producing well for you? :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 07:46:24 pm »
Have you limed the soil? Ours looked a bit done in a couple of years ago and I'm sure I read somewhere that it needs a slightly alkaline soil - all he manure makes it more acidic. I gave it "some" lime and it came a way much better.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:38 pm »
No, I didn't. I know the soil is quite acidic as three are lots of buttercups around. In the books I looked it said that rhubarb likes it acidic, so I didn't add lime. I might do if you had good experience with it. :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 08:29:11 pm »
i've sown 3 or 4 rhubarb seeds jus over a week ago, the 1st of them is popping through, so fingers crossed i can get a few plants from seed to add to my crowns already planted.

if the seedlings show signs of surviving/groing, i'll sow a few more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS