Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greyface Dartmoors  (Read 32671 times)

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: Greyface Dartmoors
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »
Great photos! Nice to see little lambies again.  :)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:05 pm »
When I contacted local breeders I found a couple were fairly helpful.  Having heard the complaints I'm a little bit dubious about buying to breed pure; getting the Ryelands registered is a big enough task with a flock book that is good with contact!  Would GFD breeders be unhappy to sell to someone who wasn't going to breed pure?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »
Not at all, but be aware that breeders will be more likely to part with lower grade stock for a lower price if you state you only want to cross breed.
Pure breeding is well worth it, and I am optimistic that the troubles of the past are fading. The DSBA had 3 changes of secretary in as many years, and it has taken a long time to retrieve information, and get through to those who have been 'lost in translation', but progress has been made and things are improving.
Good luck with whatever you decide.  :)

BacheBrook

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Herefordshire
  • BacheBrook Ryelands & BacheBrook Pigs
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »
 :o such a beautiful sheep!! i do think they come very close to my favoured ryelands, in the cuteness competition :D

:sheep: :sheep:
BacheBrook x ( Ryeland Sheep)

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 05:44:56 pm »
ty capel…What beautiful pictures  :love:
In answer to plt102 earlier question about crossing the greyface Dartmoor with other breeds, here is a greyface ram x Shetland ewe combination
Little Woolly Monster! ;D

I have experienced big problems with the Greyface breed society and due to receiving no Certificates or Proper Documents back from them for several years it has made selling any offspring difficult even though I have sent details and payment to register  my stock and been a fully paid up member for 6 years!
I must say though I have just received a flock book :o  –only took 3 years coming !!!!  ;D

I wish the society would get its act together and make keeping this wonderful breed easier!
 Tilly  :wave:

ty capel flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • North Wales
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 08:33:43 pm »
Now then.  Having confered with a member of the council....... ;) I can confirm that if you have lambs that were born or you bought lambs in 2009 - which is one of the "wilderness years" with regard to registrations you need to apply for certificates.  I sold two that year that I know the owner is still waiting patiently for certificates so I am now going to contact the secretary. :wave:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:43:36 pm by ty capel flock »

ty capel flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • North Wales
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 08:51:27 pm »
Ohhh that Shetland/Dartmoor cross looks very interesting indeed.  My friend used one of my tups last year on her Jacob ewes and they all came out like little Balwens - all black with white blazes.  Theri wool was incredible too - like Persian lamb coats,

Some more piccies!

Self-loading Dartmoors!!

Cold winter day.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »
The secretary only works a set number of hours for the DSBA, so make sure any info submitted is complete and accurate and there's a better chance of getting information returned quickly.
On a lighter note, here's my home bred ram who has had a very successful show season and has been a big hit with the ewes!!

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 10:17:28 pm »
My ram has to make do with half the ewes, the other half have been running with the new chap on the block - he's a bit cheeky!

Makes me smile!  :)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:43 am »
Hi, I know very little about sheep but have so enjoyed seeing all your pics, such a lovely breed and so photogenic. Maybe one day when we have a little more time and knowledge I will be lucky enough to own some.  :wave:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »
They are very easy going and cute, especially the lambs!

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »
I've really fallen in love with them, they look so irresistible. You can't help but love hem can you :thumbsup:

waterhouse

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:32 am »
Well a Southdown ram has gone in with our GFD girls yesterday because we needed to do something and we will see what the result is.

Cuteness alone doesn't quite do it though one of ours (it's Lily btw Tilly) will demand a back massage from anyone passing through the field.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 10:04:41 am »
 ;D ;D ;D :wave:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 11:28:28 am »
I'd completely forgotten about this........but I've just received a cheque in the post for £13 which was my 'winnings' for 2nd place at Cardigan Show (our first EVER sheep showing experience) with our lovely little ewe Primrose (who came to us via Hazlewood Flock).     What a lovely surprise.   
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS