Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BEWARE RUSTLERS ABOUT  (Read 5168 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
BEWARE RUSTLERS ABOUT
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:05:24 am »
See BBC link re sheep rustling in North Yorks, we don't have sheep but know loads of you guys do so be vigilant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-15369164

best of Mandy  :pig:

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Re: BEWARE RUSTLERS ABOUT
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:39:24 am »
There were 1500 taken nearby a short while ago  >:(

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
this was happening in Devon and a farmer that had been hit numerous times dyed all his sheep (harmless to the sheep) bright orange

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:20 am »
dyed all his sheep (harmless to the sheep) bright orange

I remember seeing that n the news, wouldn't it be fun to see all different coloured sheep in the fields  ;D. (not for long though, I'm a traditionalist :) ).

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:35:46 am »
me too but TBH if it stops rustlers I will go to some lengths to keep my sheep too

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »
Anybody see the One Show tonight even sheep rustling mad the news there, kate bevan was in NI looking at a retina scanner for sheep id, quite interesting.
mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »
it must be one of the hardest things to come to terms with stock there one day and gone the next and hee haw you can do about it if you catch the scummy barstewards
1500 sheep is a big number to get sales for or butcher in a kitchen never mind get rid of the fleece guts and head and what about there tags   now if older sheep were electronically tagged this might reduce
or am i missing something :farmer:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:04 am »
It is thought to be one of the biggest thefts of livestock in recent history. Local paper reported only wednesday 3 people arrested in connection with it. Police say likely to have been sold/processed through unlicenced abattoirs ??? ???

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:25 am »
how can there be unlicensed abattoirs how can they dispose of the waste    something is just not right :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
By unlicensced abbattoirs i take they mean a farmer's or AN Other's big shed and then the waste is probably buried or dumped!  ::)
Either that or they have a kosher abbattoir with dodgy staff who do dodgy dealings on the side and the waste just goes thro the oficial channels.
Mandy  :pig:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
More large scale rustling, this time in Aberdeenshire; the only query I have about this article was how long the sheep seem to have been left with no checking of them. But still.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2486774

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:53:44 am »
Today on BBc news websitte

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-15590212

Now somebody has to know where these have gone?

Be safe everyone.
Mandy  :pig:

waterhouse

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 06:06:30 pm »
The fact that such a vast number of animals can go missing from a system designed for 100% traceability points out just how effective the tagging system isn't.  What with the complete pigs ear (sorry) now being made of the pig movement system not to mention the horse passport farce HMG remains covered with ordure when it comes to systems. 

I could mention the NHS and the MoD as further examples of quite amazingly bloody expensive unfit for purpose systems procurement but it would be unkind.  And true.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 07:46:59 pm »
Here, here, and again here, here, waterhouse.  Most of it's a complete waste of time and money.  I would hate my sheep to go in the night, so to speak, but my biggest regret would be how far most of my lines go back, and all the memories associated with them.  Also I don't imagine there is any thought given to their welfare while they are waiting for the knife or bullet.  Doesn't bear thinking about.  Law or no law, if I catch them trying it on here it's the old shotgun treatment.  The digger would come in handy as well, taste of own medicine comes to mind.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:00 pm »
this was happening in Devon and a farmer that had been hit numerous times dyed all his sheep (harmless to the sheep) bright orange
They do that on the Isle of Mull where we used to live. Not so much as an anti-theft tactic but so the farmer could count his sheep from the roadside rather than going up into the hills.

Got a photo somewhere.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS