Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greyface Dartmoors  (Read 32640 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Greyface Dartmoors
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »
Hi all,

We have decided to give in and buy a Greyface ewe to run with our Ryeland ewes.  We have a very large breeder near us (a flock of around 350 I have been told).  Before I contact them, how much should I expect to pay for a shearling GFD that is ready to go to the ram? 

Ta1 :)

old dad

• Joined May 2010
Re: Greyface Dartmoors
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »
have a look on the exeter market website, have recently had society sale.

waterhouse

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:40 pm »
We went to the rare breeds auction at Melton Mowbray last week, interesting as always. There were loads of shetlands and hebrideans, soays etc but not a BWM to be seen. The single pen which would have had the GFD ewes was a no-show.

We've given up on the breed society which doesn't answer letters (even with money enclosed), emails or return phone calls.  So we didn't bother with Exeter this year though last year was quite a small event

waterhouse

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:54:53 pm »
Look out for their feet if you do buy: our Dartmoors need trimming about every month.  They do lamb out and mother well though.   

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:15:00 am »
Thanks guys - the Exeter report makes a good read actually, it is very useful figure wise!
Because we only have a small flock (18) we check feet monthly anyway - we have an old ewe who's nails grow like topsy and despite using crovect we are paranoid about strike.  If we had room in the garden they'd all live within view and earshot!

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06:20 pm »
Hi there,
Greyface Dartmoor shearling ewes average £125 - £150 / head, 4T/6T around £80 - £100. There is a shortage of females this year, so good luck! A look on the DSBA website may be useful - click on the members icon, then click on the for sale or hire, all ads are up for a maximum of 6 weeks so there is a good chance you'll find something current.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:13 am »
Hi there - we have 2 GFD ewes and 2 lambs running with our Leicester longwools and Shetlands. We are quite new to all this but absolutely love the GFD's. Do watch for flystrike though as we have just been caught. The maggots were all over one lambs back so checking rear end and obvious places is not enough. Check them all over.

We are hoping to breed from our GFD's and so we are looking for a ram to hire/borrow/buy. Does anyone have any experience with crossing GFD with Leicester longwool or Shetland or should we try to keep them all bred seperately?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:34:13 pm »
Are you a DSBA member? many folk have rams looking for work now so if you are a member the flock book will show  breeders in your area - where are you?
The only cross I have had is a GFD ram on a Poll Dorset ewe, fabulous cross and very tasty also got some stunning sheepskins back from these when sent on as hoggets.

waterhouse

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:49:27 pm »
Are you a DSBA member?
I can see you're a member cos Hazelwood Flock is in the DSBA Homepage!

When we looked into buying Dartmoors we went to the Exeter show and sale in 2010 where everyone was very friendly and helpful.  We emailed for some further information and heard nothing but bought some ewes in lamb anyway.  The seller notified the DSBA who sent us membership information. We filled in the membership application and sent it with a cheque and a donation to Patrick Aubrey-Fletcher, the secretary.  No response. We emailed and phoned but messages were not returned. 

So we have 2007 registered and tagged ewes, 2008 registered but untagged ewes and pedigree but unregistered 2011 lambs.  Other owners I've talked to have experienced similar problems so we assume that the DBSA operates in the south west and nowhere else. 

We're getting a Southdown ram in next week because breeding true is clearly not going to be an option for us.  Very disappointing particularly from the perspective of geographic diversification of the gene pool.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:39 pm »
I've had a bit of a moan about the same problem waterhouse, so I know how you feel.    However Hazlewood Flock is on the case  ;) ;) and I'm sure things will improve in the not too distant future (After the AGM ?!  ::))   Stick with it, cos this breed is a lovely stunning animal and I am enormously proud to own a small flock of 4 ewes plus a Tup......plus a Ram Lamb whom I;m hoping will pass muster this Autumn (awaiting the inspector  :o).  If anyone can kick ass ........ I think Hazlewood can  ;) :D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:27:23 pm »
Thanks Blinkers!  ;)
I am on the DSBA council, and lack of communication has been noted and will be raised at the next meeting ahead of the AGM on 8th oct.  2008 females were not tagged but have breed certificates, 2009 females are metal tags, as are 2010 and this years will be too (assuming a registration form has been sent to the secretary - tags aren't out yet)
On the DSBA website there is a list of council members, so if there is no joy getting hold of the secretary, feel free to contact your nearest council member for advice - we are here to help where we can!
We also have a mentor system available for new members to get advice via 'phone or email - I have been allocated to mentor Blinkers, hence the familiarity!
Please don't give up on GFDs, things can only get better.... :thumbsup:

waterhouse

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 08:32:05 am »
I'm on the edge of my seat. I never before came across a voluntary body that didn't want my money...

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:05:39 am »
I'm on the edge of my seat. I never before came across a voluntary body that didn't want my money...

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 11:37:00 am »
There's a first time for everything!!  ;D

ty capel flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • North Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:49 pm »
I can also vouch for the fact that there have been a few problems within the association - not least because of  a few changed of secretary and missing details.  But on the whole I would like to reassure people that the flock book is now printed and that things are looking to get better.

Don't give up on us.  The Dartmoor is a lovely breed - I love my little flock and get a lot of pleasure from them.  They are docile and very easy to handle.  The ewes are super mums and the lambs are just so beautiful when they are born!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS