Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Connecting two sections of electrc fence  (Read 4646 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Connecting two sections of electrc fence
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »

We have two lengths of electrified tape for disuading our goats from climbing the dykes along two sides of our land. We only have the one energiser and so swap it from one to the other periodically, relying on their memory to put them off touching the unenergised length.

What I'd like to do is join these two length in some way so that the one energiser can power them both at the same time. The total length is well within the capabilities of the device.

But... what should I use to join them together?

Obviously insulated wire of some sort but are there any specifications or recommendations for type?

Thanks
Gary

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
Re: Connecting two sections of electrc fence
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:23:48 pm »
i am using electric wire and just tie it together.
can you not just do the same with electric tape,
i assume that the wires run thru it so would still get connection?????

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:50:43 pm »
I agree with dizzy1pig. I am sure you can just tie the tape together. I also have never used tape but have used wire, rope and netting and made succesful joins in all by just tying or twisting the two ends around themselves. Good luck  :wave:

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »
Yes, you can tie tape. We have many miles of joined up bits of tape which the sheep enjoy bursting through on the way to the vegetable patch!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:35 pm »
Thanks, I thought that would be the case if I were just joining two lengths of tape but the section between the two lengths of electrified tape can't be electrified, so some flavour of insulated cable is needed.

I was thinking that whilst the voltage is high the current is tiny, so a thin braided cable, like speaker-wire, ought to be sufficient (and I happen to have quite a lot of that in the shed somewhere).

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:41:47 am »
Sorry to be a bit thick but i dont get it,
"We have two lengths of electrified tape for disuading our goats from climbing the dykes along two sides of our land. We only have the one energiser and so swap it from one to the other periodically, relying on their memory to put them off touching the unenergised length."
Do you mean from your post that the 2 sides of the land that you are trying to protect are not next to each other,hence your answer
"the section between the two lengths of electrified tape can't be electrified, so some flavour of insulated cable is needed."
just confused me even more.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:18:33 am »
would it be possible to run the tape through a length of pipe?

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm »
the tape could be run through water pipe(blue alkathine) to prevent shorting  electrical wire is no use there is proper lead out cable that  rappa sell for this purpose :farmer:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

Thanks I'll tape a look into that.

Yes, the two electrified lengths are, if you like, on two parallel sides of an oblong-sided paddock. The remaining two (shorter) parallel sides can't be electrified for several reasons but fortunately the fencing is sufficient there.

Windwillow

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »
I usually just intertwine my rope, or you can buy connectors, try paddock perfection on the net

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:41:58 pm »
After lots of disasters I have found that using the correct connectors is the best thing as the items don't slip or come apart be in rope, wire or tape. It also allows you to tighten properly

waterhouse

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 11:33:50 pm »
Do it properly or it will just cause you trouble.  I had to replace every bit of my fencing which a local farmer did with cheap tape and insulaters which disintegrate under UV.  I use paddock perfection on eBay and Rappa as well as a few Gallagher bits.

Electric fences that don't work are trouble

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS