Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can anyone confirm please that these are common worms?  (Read 5392 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Can anyone confirm please that these are common worms?
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »
Hi all

I was doing some dagging this afternoon and one did a whatsit while I was trimming her tail and I saw these fat white things, the first time ive actually seen worms !! if they are worms?  any comments appreciated please,

many thanks
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Can anyone confirm please that these are common worms?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »
They look like very still maggots to me, any of the sheep a bit scratchy?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »
They did actually come out in the poo as I saw it at close hand, its not fly strike, they were in the poo as it came out

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:30:36 pm »
I'm guessing they are tapeworm segments. We had a tup lamb we bought have something that looked like this - here they call it milk worm but I can't find out what species that is.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:22 pm »
Mmmm - don;t know much about worms but here's a description:

Tapeworm segments can be visible in sheep dung with a white rice grain-like appearance

So - could be.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »
thanks for that, im looking all around the internet to verify but nothing is very definate !!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
 I think that it will be tapeworm segments usual they don't move if it was maggots they should be moving.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »
so if they are tape worms ill need a wormer that kills tape worms ....

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »
Tapeworm :)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »
Definately

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 07:51:12 pm »
Thanks very much, I have been reading up and it seams to be the egg sack that they release.....  does panicure 2.5 cover for tape worms? im reading up......

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »
Egg filled tapeworm segments, yes panacur kills :farmer:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:51:12 pm »
That be worms that be! There is a lot of scientific evidence that suggests that tape worms don't hold back ruminants very much, if at all so the tape worms themselves are not really any sort of a worry. The worry is the fact that if the sheep are excreting tape worms what other worm burden are they carrying?
While I realise that most of England has had a very dry summer so there won't be a huge liver fluke burden, here in scotland we have had a very wet summer after a warm spring so instead of dosing with a straight wormer a flukeicide wormer like combinex would be a very good idea to cover all the internal parasites at this time of year. Fluke can really hold back stock, can drop a scanning percentage by up to 20% and will kill store lambs if left untreated. Normally takes until the new year before lambs really start to struggle with fluke, they usually take on a black scour having lost a lot of weight. ewes will often get a large fluidy lump under their jaw (bottle jaw)
Not trying to scare every one because liver fluke is pretty easy to kill, just follow the instructions on the packet!  ;)
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:06 am »
Tapeworms seem to be tolerated by sheep but can result in cysts which may result in some meat being condemned at the abbatoir.  We get the occasional note in the veterinary report back from the slaughterhouse telling us there were such cysts in the liver - maybe one or two lambs a year.  I spoke with the vets at the laboratory and they said to be sure all dogs coming into contact with the sheep were properly wormed but that the cysts do not harm the sheep and being in the liver would not result in any deduction in payment (since we are not paid for the offal the way the slaughterhouses work.)

Since we farm on Hadrian's Wall with tens of thousands of visitors a year and a gazillion public footpaths across our land we have no chance of ensuring that all dogs coming into contact with our sheep are properly wormed...  ::)  But we almost never see worms or worm segments in the sheep's poo.  I did have a few with these segments at my previous farm one year; we did worm them with a dose that kills tapeworm (most sheep wormers don't) but the vet said it wasn't anything to worry about.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 09:28:08 pm »
thats all very interesting and very important for me to learn, all this discussion it has brought to my attention another lamb that is under weight and had some scouring, so today ive had a look at all my lambs condition and scored them, Ive dosed her today I was surprised that she was half the weight of the others(she wasnt the one with tape worm segments).she wont be going to the abottoir, I will hold her back for another month.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS