Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggies Trip Out  (Read 2043 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Piggies Trip Out
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:16 am »
2 of my boys were booked into the abattoir this morning.  I like to be one of the first booked in there, so an early start.

We got them loaded into the trailer at 7 this morning for the 45 mins trip.  I like to tell them they are going on there holidays  ;) ;)

Hubby takes them, and got to the abattoir, 2nd in the queue, so expecting things to go smoothly.

The first pigs go through and hubby reverses up to the door, all the paperwork done and then......

One of the machines breaks!  They try to fix it, but after an hour (and a long line of trailers right the way up the lane)...they decide it can't be mended so everyone has to go home.

So my boys have had a lovely trip out this morning.  When they arrived back they were snuggled up sleeping in their bed of straw in the back of the trailer and weren't too keen to come out into the rain.   A quick shake of the bucket and they meandered back into their pen.

The abattoir are trying to get a licence to do pigs on Friday.....so another trip out for the boys then.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Piggies Trip Out
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »
Oh, dear, at least the pigs didn't have much of a problem with the trailer journey - just imagine if they had hated going into the trailer, what trouble that would be nex time ::)

Good luck next time  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »
I hate to mention this, but I think you might find you are now on a standstill.

No problems with the piggies going back to the abattoir, but all your other pigs will be on a 20-day standstill and any other stock a 6-day.

If this poses a problem, and the pigs did not set foot off your trailer, it could be worth checking whether you really are on a standstill.  But if the trailer door was opened, I suspect you are, and definitely if they stepped off.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »
I thought about that too Sally.  Apparently as the trailer wasn't opened at the abattoir it is OK.  Luckily nothing due to go off in the next 3 weeks anyway, so not a problem.

The boys were no trouble to get in the trailer this morning, so hopefully will go just a smoothly next time.

They get a few more days worth of belly rubs, so they will be happy  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
if they never came of the trailor you are not shut down   they just went for a tuesday drive :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS