Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilts or boars?  (Read 5329 times)

Piggingtons

• Joined Sep 2011
Gilts or boars?
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:26 pm »
Hi,

We are just about to get our first couple of weaners to rear for meat (probably mad to do it through the winter but it's worked out that way as we have the time to do it now as we've been busy in the summer and away a lot). Is it better to get 2 gilts or 2 boars?  I have read that it is advisable to get boars as they are more boisterous and so by 4-6 months it is easier to part with them but I'm quite determined that we won't get too attached as we are entering into this with the intention of sending them off for meat and then hopefully doing it again.  Are there are any other considerations to think about regarding gender?

HappyHippy

Re: Gilts or boars?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:27:00 am »
If it's your first time keeping them, go for boys.
My reasoning is that you'll have to send them off for slaughter, unlike gilts which you might think "we could just keep them and breed from them". It happens quite a lot, and although it's a natural progression in pig keeping, it's not something I'd recommend until you have a fair bit of experience keeping them.
In terms of looking after, quality of meat etc there really is no difference between the sexes  ;)
The main thing is to make sure they are all the same sex - all boars or all gilts - then you've no worries about them in-breeding.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:41:23 am »
What HH says is right. Boars will put on weight a bit quicker so costs a bit less to get them to slaughter weight.
You will get attached to them, very hard not to. I always think about the sausages and that helps :D
Main thing is enjoy them and I bet you will be hooked like the rest of us.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:19:25 am »
there is nothing wrong with keeping pigs overwinter just ensure they are warm and dry
possibly your selection of breed and your location is more important
if you go for boars go for castrares  i weight record my pigs and there is he haw difference betwean gilts entire boars and castrates with weight gain and with castrates you do not get them riding or the chance of boar taint you can also take them to a bigger weight than you would with boars
what ever you chose have fun and enjoy your pigs both living and as meat :farmer:

Piggingtons

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:10:17 am »
Thanks for the advice- this forum/website is fantastic!  I hadn't thought (or read) about the castration issue. We saw the breeder yesterday and I think she said they are uncastrated but I'll check that. What age do they castrate them?

We live in West Wales (Carmarthenshire/Ceredigion borders) so it is wet but we have plenty of land, are building a sooper dooper wooden ark for them and have to go outside every day in winter to feed and water ponies so I'm sure we will manage and hopefully they will too.  Have read all the threads on wintering which are useful.

My 12 year old son came with me on a Pig Paradise course 2 years ago so I have high hopes he and his 10 year old sister are going to help a lot (they are very keen at the moment!) and that we will go on to have lots more piggies (trying to start small and learn as we go).    The weaners we are considering are saddleback/large black crosses and will be ready in mid October.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:13 am »
Hi Piggingtons
Agree with all except about castrates, personally we never castrate our male GOS and they grow fine even through winter and so long as you get them away before they're 28 weeks old they'll be fine pork.
Theres loads of good tip on the GOS website getting started section so have a look there its not just for GOS keepers but to help ALL new pig keepers.
Good luck and enjoy your piggies.
Best Mandy  :pig:

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:30 pm »
We've not castrated either, our 7 males all grew lovely last spring. :-) Noone would buy them - they all wanted the females! So we fattened them ourselves and sold 5 of them to the local butcher. :)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
Hi Piggingtons :) i live in Carmarthenshire too ...... WAVES HELLO  :wave:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
We had 4 entire boars as our first entry into fattening weaners - they were great fun, and until this year I thought they were quite boisterous...
This year we had 3 gilts and they were WAY more boisterous!!!!  ;D ;D
What ever you go for just enjoy  ;D
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS