Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What wellies to get??  (Read 18347 times)

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: What wellies to get??
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 09:05:25 am »
I hate wellies but just bought a pair of Dunlop Purafort (or something like that!) out of necessity and I am pleased with them.  They were about 45 quid and fairly comfortable for wellies!  Rosemary I always wear walking boots and gaiters except now that I have the cows I have no option but to have wellies when it's really wet and manky  :-[

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 09:23:48 am »
OH's shooting magazine came yesterday with the usual array of catalogues one of which had Hunter Balmoral Sovereign wellies at £299  :o ::) Who on earth buys those?
Summer time Dunlops from the aggy store for a fiver and winter my muck boots win the day!
Mandy  :pig:

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 01:20:09 pm »
How do the sizes of the Le Chameaus fit? Would I need to get the next size up for example for winter socks or would my regular size be ok? (Thinking for a birthday/crimbo prezzie for hubby to get me!) Also can they be tight fitting? :-\
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:11 pm »
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Croc wellies, Rosemary.  I think I would be sceptical about the track record of a holey sandal company in making rugged real-life smallholder / farmer wellies, but I am probably just jealous because it's always too wet where I am to be able to use Crocs outdoors, at all, ever!

I don't wear wellies that much - prefer boots (Ariat H20) and gaiters - but wellies are good to step into. I have been having problems with my feet - flat - and that's been giving me pain in my feet, ankles and knees. I've also had a sore hip and back on and off. I saw a podiatrist a couple of weeks ago and she asked what I wore on my feet in the house. Socks, says I. Wear Crocs, says she. I had a pair so started wearing them right away. The difference is remarkable - my feet, ankles and knees are pretty much pain free - no more broken sleep - and my hip and back seem better too. I LOVE my Crocs. Now waiting for a referal to Orthotics to get custom made insoles for my boots.

See the saying"no foot, no horse"? Applies to humans as well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »
How do the sizes of the Le Chameaus fit? Would I need to get the next size up for example for winter socks or would my regular size be ok? (Thinking for a birthday/crimbo prezzie for hubby to get me!) Also can they be tight fitting? :-\

I have one pair of LeC's, my normal (shoe) size leaves plenty of room for winter socks.  I've no idea what style / model they might be; I've had them about 10 years now!  My calves are too thick for many makes of welly, but the LeC's are fine.

My pair are made of soft rubber, which means I can't just slide my legs into them, I have to use my hands to pull the legs up and on.  But they are very comfortable - the only wellies I've ever had that are comfortable enough for hiking - and the tread is very grippy and hard-wearing.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:33 pm »
I love my Le Chameaus.  I'm a size 6 and the 39 is great, and I can get quite thick socks on with that too.  I tried the Ladies All Track but it was such a snug fit on the calf I could only wear leggings with them and not my army-style trousers tucked in, so I went with the Regular All Tracks which are great.  A bit more roomy on the leg but not so much so that when you wear leggings they are flapping about in the wind.  Of course, this all depends on the size of your calf but I've just measured the circumference of mine at the widest part and it's 37cm.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »
I have a bunion and very fat legs and usually wellies just don't fit and if they fit they don't last.

I bought a pair of Aigle Varios, the neoprene lined ones.  They are plenty wide enough around the legs and have a great insole which gives enough support.  I can wear them for hours and not have any problems.

Seemed like a lot of money to spend at the time, but they are lasting well.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sandy

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »
I was born with hip displacia, many would have not let me breed but I did, I spent the first 50years in sever pain and after a new hip had a new lige, but it has left its mark as now my spine is twisted and arthritic and sometimes cuts off my feelings.....I find my muck boots more supportive than wellies or boots...I still get a lot of problems but I need to keep moving and my wellies are my life savers!!!! I also get restless legs, I thought about Irish dancing but them outfits would look silly on me! so Muck boots it is!

princesspiggy

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:21 am »
iv just treated myself to a great pair of "muck boot co" wellies for about £75,they are the riding version so thats handy for me, soo comfy, but also heavy to walk in all day. i cant stand wet feet so as long as they dont split il be happy!!!!
 :wave:

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:48 am »
I've had these for the last few years.  They seem to last longer than most- say 2yrs with regular, although not everyday, use.  Also I find them comfy for walking the dog, not sloppy, and my socks stay up.
Dunlop Pricemastor Non Safety wellington
Non Safety Wellington. Upper: Green. Sole: Black. PVC basic upper. Size 3 - 12

Our price: ONLY £9.95 + VAT
Price inc. VAT £11.94

I took this off a direct wellingtons website, but actually I buy them at the market for about £10
 :trophy:
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS