Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What wellies to get??  (Read 18348 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What wellies to get??
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:50:43 pm »
What wellies do people recommend?

Two years ago I bought a pair of Muck Boots. They were very expensive and I thought - well - you get what you pay for. I thought they would last a long time.

Anyway - the seams have gone and a couple of holes have appeared - and that's that. Of course - I don't have the receipt now otherwise I would have taken them back. I think two years is pathetic - especially as I don't really "rag" them.

Are my expectations too high?

I don't know whether to go for the bangernomics option and just get a cheap pair or whether to invest in another pair of expensive wellies. What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:04:27 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sandy

Re: What wellies to get??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »
I have muck boots and muddies, they are similar but both only lasted a  year, same as hubbies, is have worn badly on the bottom and slip on rough ground BUT, they are sooo comfy and easy to put on!! I live in my Muck boots!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:08:24 pm »
Neoprene lined, well ribbed soles, less than £50 - that's what I'm looking for.  Might go back to the Mountain Warehouse at Tilly as they have a  sale on.  Got my new walking boots there last Saturday.  Need to wait for  pension to drop into my bank account first though ::).
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:13:59 am »
I need new wellies too, I had a Joules pair bought as a christmas present two years ago, and the lining has all gone! I just want something comfy to wear in the winter, well, and the wet summers too I guess but I live in hope of sunshine!
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:36 am »
Hi all, I was bought a very cute pair of wells for Christmas this last year and already have had to pull the liners out  ::) I'm afraid on this matter I'm the cheap and cheerful option from now on and then wear gorgeous socks so they are comfy (as a shoe fanatic this doesn't come naturally for me  ;D), if the dog doesn't chew them then our foal will certainly have a nibble or two!!!

Blueeyes xx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:19:00 am »
I'm giving up wellies on the advice of a podiatrist. She says they don't give my feet and ankles enough support. I'll be going for boots and gaiters this year or boots and waterproof trousers.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:26 am »
I'm giving up wellies on the advice of a podiatrist. She says they don't give my feet and ankles enough support. I'll be going for boots and gaiters this year or boots and waterproof trousers.

For sure I have had more trouble with toes and ankles since the enforced adoption of full-time welly-wearing.  If you can get away with boots instead no question it'll be better for your feet and ankles. 

I bought some beautiful Karrimor boots (reduced to an affordable price) but the back of the heel digs into my achilles tendon (which is still giving me gyp so (a) swollen and (b) very sore to begin with) plus you can kick wellies on and off as you come and go into the house, it's a palaver with boots especially if you've had to use gaiters to cope with >2" of water about.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:15:06 am »
I bought walking boots ages ago and found they were heavy on my feet and I felt my ankles were under strain, the Muck  boots I still have seem to fit supportively around my ankles and also my feed, I suppose its just the shape and type of leg we have, mine are Victorian (verging on Gothic)short stubby legs, some of you may have Ikea ones or elegant Edwardian ones, and as for feet, mine are more than a dinner plate full!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:47:24 am »
OK they def dont come in the £50 budget but I can really recommend the boots I got once I had thrown my split Hunters out for the last time. They are neoprene lined Le Chameau ones and cost (whispers) £95. I was very reluctant to spend that much and had to have them for my birthday as we dont have that sort of loose change lying about but Ive been so glad I went for them every day since.

But they have been faultless despite me wearing them all day every day just about for a year or more already including in -20 (the Hunters used to last 4 months max).

I couldnt find neoprene ones with proper good quality materials and construction for under £50 (eg rubber that is very flexible but very tough as well), but they may be out there, let us know if you find them!

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:54:48 am »
My husband has some Le Chameau boots and swears by them.

I have some neoprene lined Aigle wells that have served me very well for several years now. I suspect I don't wear them as much as some on this site, but they do get worn several times per week.  I think they are also in the £100+ price bracket.

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:35 pm »
A guest that was a keen out door sports man, swore by Le Chameau boots , just off to google them again, I cannot remember which ones I tried on that were too tight !!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 12:17:35 pm »
Definately a good idea to research first, I throw good money after bad on wellies these days  ::)  Joules - split after a couple of months (of LOTS of wear uphill and down all day)  Hunters - very tight across my foot and hurt  Countrywide own - comfortable and last a few months but again need replacing. Can't afford huge outlay in one go though or would buy some more durable jobbies.  :(

Interesting point from Rosemary too - I sprained my foot recently (had to crawl up very steep hills to get to the goats, was awful) and I put that down to welly wearing (yep, even wear them to school run these days!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:20:31 pm »
Hunter boots are not very good quality these days but having said that I've just bought a pair of their short ones as the rubber seemed better quality than on their longer legged version. My Barbour boots lasted years but I have no idea of the quality of them now as they weren't in any of the shops I visited.

I have to say though that NEXT ( of all places  :-[ ) have some cheapish wellies and they are very cosy to wear. They are also the shorter legged style.

WW yard boots are very cosy but no good for long wet grass (or for wearing in any situation where the water will be higher than the lower ankle area). The water will go into the boot and once wet they take a couple of weeks to dry out properly.

Don't buy Derby House long legged yard boots - they have no support around the ankle and the leg just droops and slides down no matter how tight you do the velcro fastenings up. Again, they are only good enough for lower ankle deep puddles. They do make a good home for spiders though - that's what mine have become.   :(

:farmer:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 01:41:37 pm »
Long live the rigger boot!!!  I live in them and they smell like I do too ;)

I never expect a piece of footwear to last too long, mine generally rot from the inside out :)

Baz

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »
Eeeeeewwww - too much information Baz!

It's a point though - I did get what the doctor said was severe athlete's foot (it wasn't bothering me - I was there about something else) and since getting that cleared up have been more careful to take my wellies off when I'll be in the house for more than a few minutes, always wear clean dry cotton socks next to the foot, make sure the wellies get thoroughly dried out overnight if they did get a wetting.

Some of us will remember another discussion about brands of wellies, started by Dan's purchase of some new Hunters - are they still your pride and joy, Dan?

That discussion starts here:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=17254.msg163971#msg163971

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS